idea for file screening

Ninjakreborn

I have started on my script, and set up my basic error handling, and at this point I have decided what I am going to do about screening filetypes.
What I am going to do is create an array of file types I am accepting(I was going to do one of ones I wasn't but there are too many to list),
so I am putting the files on the server in a folder instead of in the database. So I will work on all that when I get there, I have to take into account, I am unsure whether to have the files as downloadable links, or embedded in the page so they can be immediately viewed, heard or whatever. I want some advice on waht file extensions I should accept, I have some of them together so far, but any here you think I should take out or add, would be a great help.
Or ones you might know i would encounter severe difficulty with handling once I get them uploaded.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]$_accepted_extensions = array('.mpeg', '.mpg', '.mpe', '.wav', '.avi', '.mid', '.midi',[/quote]
I will probably have more in there by the time this comes around, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Without an idea of what you end goal is its hard to set all ext you will take.

you could have

TIF, GIF, BMP, TIFF, JPG, JPEG, PNG for graphics

PDF for general viewing

I would set a max file size also or else you could run out of space really fast.

As far as links ver's imbedded ..... this is based on really your user group dial-up users would like links as for broad-band imbedded would be great if your website is monitered for bandwidth usage links would be better.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.