POST form wierdness

jdvalentine

Hey guys,

I have a chunk of code that allows some HTML to be edited in-site with a form and a text area. The text is sent with POST back to the server, which writes it line by line to a file.

Here's the problem: it runs fine on my development server, but on my host's server, if I submit more than about 3K, the server never responds to the request and just sits there until it times out. Then the script runs without any POST variable data (as can be seen from the errors). If I submit less than 3K, the thing works beautifully.

I've implemented very similar code on other accounts on the same server without problems, and my _excellent_ host has spend three hours trying to work out what the problem is. Could it be:

- encoding issue?
- firewall rules?

I'm clutching at straws here, as you can see. Any ideas?!

Cheers,
J.

Cheers for getting back to me. The two files diff dramatically, but I'm not sure processing is even getting to php. It seems that when the request is over that size, the server refuses to respond, and simply times out the connection before letting the PHP script run. It looks more like a server<->browser interaction problem to me, but I'm flumoxxed as to why it only occurs on one account on one server!

Are there particular variables in my php.ini that might be relevant?
Cheers, Redarrow.
J.

Yeah. I noticed that, but all these values are set to more than high enough. That one is currently 8MB.

I'm at my wit's end. My very helpful host has studied the code for three hours, apparently, and can find no difference between that and what is on my other functioning accounts.

What is PHP's normal policy when a value like that is exceeded? Could mod_php simply refuse to connect?! How would it know the size by that point? If I use the Firefox live http headers extension, there is simply a huge delay, then a timeout. The headers seem to go in the end, but then PHP acts although there was no request at all.

Cheers,
J.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.