Google Chrome

Daniel0

Very nice. Turned out I was following my direct link to http://gears.google.com/chrome instead of the slashdot link to http://www.google.com/chrome. I was getting the unstyled (no header) content instead of the full page.

I'm very impressed with the relative speed and rendering of everything thus far. I'll definitely have to give it a go for a bit. I will have to be sure that many of my much used dev tools will be portable in some way or another ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very impressed with the relative speed and rendering of everything thus far. I'll definitely have to give it a go for a bit. I will have to be sure that many of my much used dev tools will be portable in some way or another ;)

Well, it has something like built-in Firebug :)

Oh yeah, and it got like free publicity on the Google front page so that means a lot of people will know about it in very short time. Who doesn't use Google at least once a day?

Edit:

It's just slightly annoying that I cannot change the language once I've installed Chrome. I got the Danish version installed, but I'd rather use the English one.

I just have to open my eyes. It's right in the settings :-\

Edit 2: Okay... what's up with this? It doesn't pass Acid 2? Wasn't it supposed to use Webkit? As far as I know Webkit is the most W3C compliant rendering engine scoring highest on Acid 3... Scratch that. It works now... :-\

This thing looks really cool. I'm liking a lot the minimal layout, basically i'm doing what i'm supposed to do...browse. And yep the Element Inspector is a basic version of firebug, but considering this is an early beta, maybe we'll see some some cool stuff in the future. I'm impressed in general, fast and with style.

The user interface is too simple.  I like simple, but I miss some features.  Well, don't know if it's so much as missing, just hard to find.  Guess changing is always hard.  I love the speed though.  It's amazing.

Oh, am I the only one who hates google's little web-style comics explaining Chrome?  It made me hate google a little.

Oh, am I the only one who hates google's little web-style comics explaining Chrome?  It made me hate google a little.

If it helps less technical users understand the advantages and convinces them to use it over Internet Explorer then there's nothing wrong with them in my eyes.

well, I gotta say..I like it

I haven't turned it off since I installed it and it has yet to crash on me.  Everything seems to run smoothly on my end.  The pages have actually loaded faster! I never thought the browser had THAT much to do with the speed but I guess I was wrong.  I can sense the subtle differences in how Firefox loads things and how Chrome loads them.

The "sandbox" feature of each time allows it to run faster, so i've read.

Surely the sandboxing is related to security rather than efficiency?

Just had a play around with it on one of the Windows boxes in our office. I'm impressed at how much faster pages render in it, some cool features too - Looking forward to the Linux version!

Well, it is very nice and quick, but all the while the the scrolling is ridiculously fast, it's pretty much unusable for me. I also detest having my tabs open next to the page that opened them, rather than at the end. I can't find an option to change this neither.

Certainly interesting though.

will firefox 3.1 compile JS as fast?

It should.

But what does that actually mean?  Surely you'd have to submit something directly to them.  I would think that refers to the portion where you're submitting stats and error reports to them, which you can easily uncheck while installing.

I dont think the 'omnibar' is that great either. It's a pain. Unlike firefox, it doesn't seem to remember the page you go to most frequently on a website as you type it in, but offers the root of the site as the first option. For example, i usually navigate straight to the page for my local weather forecast, so as soon as i start typing in met office, that page comes up in firefox as the first option. Not so in chrome, it's about third on the list after the homepage of the met office and a search. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Can't deny the speed of it though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.