Google Chrome

Daniel0

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting from Google Chrome.

I haven't done any actual tests but just eyeballing it I really don't see a difference between this and FF3's loading performance...but to be fair, I do have a 12mb cable connect and I'm on a 2.5ghz quad core with 6gb ram...

I think that tabs at the top are novel, but I'm so used to tabs being where they are on other things that it just doesn't seem that shiny to me. It kind of makes me feel like there is a separate navigation UI (url bar, buttons, bookmark quicklinks etc..) for each tab, which from a design PoV, somehow doesn't seem right.

I don't like how the out of the box default is to not have the homepage button on the toolbar, though I suppose we could get into a long debate about whether that button is pointless or not, considering the whole bookmark toolbar.

I don't like how opening a new tab automatically brings up that page with the most visited pages/bookmarks, and that you can't seem to change that to your homepage or something. You can't seem to change the new tab page at all. Being able to access a list of most recent stuff is okay but when I open a new tab, I'm looking for a list of known, set in stone options. Kind of like the home button or bookmark buttons toolbar. I would personally rather see those come up on the new tab page. I recognize this is a preference, but that's my point. I should be able to choose to customize the New Tab page somehow.

Maybe I've been brainwashed, but I expect to see "File Edit View Tools Help..." at the top left of my window, no matter what window it is, and that includes my browser. Yes I see those options to the right of the url bar, but I am used to seeing them at the top left. That's one of the main things I dislike about IE (from a general UI PoV).

I immediately dislike not having all the addons I use for firefox. I can't rightclick a word and have a list of options pop up like a definition or translation(s), being able to rightclick on a word and have it auto-open a tab with that word(s) submitted to a specific site (like dictionary.com, php.net, etc...).

On that note, is Chrome going to even allow addons etc.. like firefox?

I don't like how opening a new tab automatically brings up that page with the most visited pages/bookmarks, and that you can't seem to change that to your homepage or something. You can't seem to change the new tab page at all.

I believe Opera does this as well, except slightly different. They have "Speed Dial" where you can specify pages you access often. Like bookmarks.

On that note, is Chrome going to even allow addons etc.. like Firefox?

It should, eventually (only guessing). I mean, it is Google. And this is a beta.

I just want those god-damn tabs moved down!

And I agree with the File, View etc etc. It defiantly needs that.

"It only offers what you explicitly typed as first choice"

- Paraphrase of the omnibar's auto completion as described in the released comic.

Ah yeah, I remember reading that now. Stupid though. It should offer what you've visited as first choice, regardless of if you've typed it or not.

corbin:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/why.html

Those pages basically say the same as the comic. I liked the comic though and I think it's more likely that less technical people are going to read a comic than they are going to read pages written in plain text.

Entirely missed those ;p.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone have any success running the Windows version using Wine? I tried this:

http://www.myscienceisbetter.info/2008/09/install-google-chrome-on-linux-using-wine.html

But I don't get the install process. Running wine 1.1.5. The first time it ran Chrome without installing it (poorly) after that, running 'wine chrome_installer.exe' does nothing.

EDIT: Scrap that. After a system restart, it suddenly works fine.

Hrmmm I always thought Wine cost money.  Just googled it.  I might put Linux on this comp later.... lol

WINE isn't anywhere near perfect, so don't go ahead and switch to Linux hoping that you'll be able to run all of your Windows apps...

With Wine, VirtualBox, and many Linux (often better) alternatives, there really isn't too much reason not to switch from Windows to Linux. It takes some effort naturally..

For programmers/Web developers, Linux makes live easier IMO. For Web designing, it doesn't. But, for any designing I need to do I just fire up VirtualBox. Photoshop does also run under Wine, or so I've read.

It takes more resources to run an OS plus a VM than it takes to run an OS only. If you have a lot of resources then it isn't a problem, but not everybody do. Also, if you have to use more resources, then you'll have a lower battery time if you're using a laptop that's not connected to a power source.

True. Only one alternative: more RAM ;)

In my search for a new laptop, RAM was one of the top criteria. You need a VM to test in IE6 anyway. Unless you want to restart your computer every time you need to go from Vista to Xp...

RAM is not the only thing to consider though. CPU usage is a lot higher as well.

I guess the moral of the story is that you're right. :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.