E-Mail's from mail() have extra "." at end

Cynix

I'm currently building a mail library for a script I'm working on, and I've been having some trouble with PHP E-Mails. In a nut shell this is what I have:

[code]
$to = "myemail@mysite.com";
$from = "someone@somewhere.com";
$from_display = "Someone <someone@somewhere.com>";
$subject = "Some Subject";
$message =
"Some Message
This is a message I am sending to myself to test with

Thank you,
The end";
$header_string = "From: $from_display\r\nReply-To: $from\r\nX-Mailer: X7C3/PHP/".phpversion()."\r\n";
mail($to,$subject,$message,$header_string);
[/code]

The E-Mail sends fine, but when I view it in Thunderbird I get an extra dot at the end for some reason, for example:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Some Message
This is a message I am sending to myself to test with

Thank you,
The end

[/quote]

Just like that I get two newlines and a dot appended to my E-Mail message. In my webmail clients the dot does not appear at all. The additions are added both when I send it using sendmail on localhost with PHP's built in mail function and when I use my webhost's SMTP server (raw connection not channeled through mail()).

I think the most likely cause is that I'm missing some important stuff from the headers above or something like that, so if you know anything about E-Mail maybe you could look at it and let me know, or if you can think of anything that might be causing it. I don't get the dot on other PHP E-Mails (such as the signup E-Mail for this forum).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.