Image resize

jameschambers

I am using a jpeg image resizing script which is destroying the colour of the images I am putting into it. The best way i can describe them is washed out, althogh sometimes they come out totally monochrome. Is this a bug? what can I do to stop it?

Any help gratefully received

<?php

$image = $_REQUEST['image'];
$max_width = $_REQUEST['max_width'];
$max_height = $_REQUEST['max_height'];

if (!$max_width)
$max_width = 80;
if (!$max_height)
$max_height = 60;

$size = GetImageSize($image);
$width = $size[0];
$height = $size[1];

$x_ratio = $max_width / $width;
$y_ratio = $max_height / $height;

if ( ($width <= $max_width) && ($height <= $max_height) ) {
$tn_width = $width;
$tn_height = $height;
}
else if (($x_ratio * $height) < $max_height) {
$tn_height = ceil($x_ratio * $height);
$tn_width = $max_width;
}
else {
$tn_width = ceil($y_ratio * $width);
$tn_height = $max_height;
}

$src = ImageCreateFromJpeg($image);
$dst = ImageCreate($tn_width,$tn_height);
ImageCopyResized($dst, $src, 0, 0, 0, 0,
$tn_width,$tn_height,$width,$height);
header('Content-type: image');
ImageJpeg($dst, null, -1);
ImageDestroy($src);
ImageDestroy($dst);

?>

Instead of imagecreate, you might try using imagecreatetruecolor.

Now, I run macintosh and am noticing that images are significantly desaturated once they've been run through PHP. So much so that you don't even have to see them side by side to see how dramatic the difference.

However, the same side by side comparison on a standard Windows PC reveals no difference at all. The original, beautifully saturated image is rendered on a Windows PC the same way php is rendering the other image.

Here is my side by side comparison. Side by side on the mac -- night and day. Side by side on my test PC, they are identical.
[a href=\"http://www.virtual-showcase.net/proofs/gulfsouth/test.html\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.virtual-showcase.net/proofs/gulfsouth/test.html[/a]

[!--quoteo(post=385374:date=Jun 18 2006, 07:39 PM:name=michaellunsford)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(michaellunsford @ Jun 18 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]385374[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Instead of imagecreate, you might try using imagecreatetruecolor.

Now, I run macintosh and am noticing that images are significantly desaturated once they've been run through PHP. So much so that you don't even have to see them side by side to see how dramatic the difference.

However, the same side by side comparison on a standard Windows PC reveals no difference at all. The original, beautifully saturated image is rendered on a Windows PC the same way php is rendering the other image.

Here is my side by side comparison. Side by side on the mac -- night and day. Side by side on my test PC, they are identical.
[a href=\"http://www.virtual-showcase.net/proofs/gulfsouth/test.html\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.virtual-showcase.net/proofs/gulfsouth/test.html[/a]
[/quote]
Surely that only matters if the code is being [i]served[/i] from a Mac though right? I just viewed your link on both my XP Pro machine, and on my Mac and results were identical.

[!--quoteo(post=385377:date=Jun 18 2006, 01:46 PM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ Jun 18 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]385377[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Surely that only matters if the code is being [i]served[/i] from a Mac though right? I just viewed your link on both my XP Pro machine, and on my Mac and results were identical.
[/quote]

Really? This opens a whole new can of worms. Few questions for you.

Which version of MacOS?
Does your display adapter support core image?
32 bit color depth?

[!--quoteo(post=385439:date=Jun 18 2006, 11:01 PM:name=michaellunsford)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(michaellunsford @ Jun 18 2006, 11:01 PM) [snapback]385439[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Really? This opens a whole new can of worms. Few questions for you.

Which version of MacOS?
Does your display adapter support core image?
32 bit color depth?
[/quote]
OS X (10.4.6)
No core image support (ATI Radeon 9200) - Running a non-Apple display, Iiyama 17" TFT.
32 bit colour depth.

Its not really high specced, its a PPC based MacMini (1.42GHz/1GB), my first Mac :)

Not as straight forward as you may think, you'll have to evaluate the type of file and the run the correct functions...

[code]$pos = strrpos($image,".");
$ext = substr($image,$pos);
switch($ext) {
    case ".jpg":
         $src = ImageCreateFromJpeg($image);
         ImageJpeg($dst, null, -1);
         ImageDestroy($src);
         ImageDestroy($dst);
         break;
    case ".gif":
         $src = ImageCreateFromGif($image);
         ImageGif($dst, null, -1);
         ImageDestroy($src);
         ImageDestroy($dst);
         break;
}[/code]Thats just a basic example, you'd make it a bit more efficient that that though ;)

You can also use imagecreatefromstring(file_get_contents($file)). That's the way I usually do it just incase someone uploads an odd image type I'm not expecting.

[!--quoteo(post=385545:date=Jun 19 2006, 02:14 AM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ Jun 19 2006, 02:14 AM) [snapback]385545[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
OS X (10.4.6)
No core image support (ATI Radeon 9200) - Running a non-Apple display, Iiyama 17" TFT.
32 bit colour depth.

Its not really high specced, its a PPC based MacMini (1.42GHz/1GB), my first Mac :)
[/quote]

Ahh, a graphics guru friend of mine told me that safari will use embedded color profiles, while other browsers may not. I checked it in Firefox and, sure enough, both render the exact same.

Now, how to save the file so that it will be presented the same with and without the embedded color profile... [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":huh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"huh.gif\" /]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.