php and html display errors

Thrice01

new here, hoping to use this forum more often though.

ok so my website worked on localhost fine, v4.something. I transferred to my server which is running v5.1.3 and i noticed something.

I have a bunch of if statements that determine what table gets displayed. Something like..

<?php
if ($pagename == 'login.php') { ?>
<table border="0" align="center">
<tr>
<td>This gets displayer</td>
</tr>
</table>
<?
} else {
[i]do somethign else[/i]
}
?>

Ok, that does not work at all. The only way i can get it to work is by echoing the table and placing slashes (\) infront of the quote marks. e.g.

<?php
if ($pagename == 'login.php') {
echo "
<table border=\"0\" align=\"center\">
<tr>
</tr>
</table>
";

} else {
[i]do somethign else[/i]
}
?>

Any explaintation why it won't let me code it the first way? im really not keen on echoing all my html data

You have short opening PHP tag your server may not be configured to use <? as a opening php tag. So try this instead:
[code]<?php
<tr>
</tr>
</table>
<?php
} else {
    //do somethign else
}
?>[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=385453:date=Jun 19 2006, 12:09 AM:name=Thrice01)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Thrice01 @ Jun 19 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]385453[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
new here, hoping to use this forum more often though.

ok so my website worked on localhost fine, v4.something. I transferred to my server which is running v5.1.3 and i noticed something.

I have a bunch of if statements that determine what table gets displayed. Something like..

<?php
<tr>
</tr>
</table>
<?
} else {
[i]do somethign else[/i]
}
?>

Ok, that does not work at all. The only way i can get it to work is by echoing the table and placing slashes (\) infront of the quote marks. e.g.

<?php
echo "
<table border=\"0\" align=\"center\">
<tr>
</tr>
</table>
";

} else {
[i]do somethign else[/i]
}
?>

Any explaintation why it won't let me code it the first way? im really not keen on echoing all my html data
[/quote]

You cant use " when you user echo you must replace them with ' .

ie.
[code]
<?php
echo ("
  <table border='0' align='center'>
   <tr>
   </tr>
  </table>
");

} else {
  [i]do somethign else[/i]
}
?>
[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=385561:date=Jun 19 2006, 09:17 PM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]385561[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You have short opening PHP tag your server may not be configured to use <? as a opening php tag. So try this instead:
[code]<?php
<tr>
</tr>
</table>
<?php
} else {
    //do somethign else
}
?>[/code]
[/quote]

i replaced all <? in my code with <?php. Still doesn't work. When i ran the page, the php code was output as html text for some reason. It's like the page is not reading php at all, yet it works fine on another couple of pages.

Any ideas?

[!--quoteo(post=385841:date=Jun 20 2006, 12:30 PM:name=thorpe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thorpe @ Jun 20 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]385841[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Post you actual code.
[/quote]

can't, it's work related.

[!--quoteo(post=385858:date=Jun 20 2006, 02:08 PM:name=mainewoods)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(mainewoods @ Jun 20 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]385858[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Sound like your php parser is not running. Try creating the simplist possible page:
[code]<?php
    echo "hello world";
?>[/code]
If that doen't work then your php parser is not working.
[/quote]
ill give that a shot when im back in the office.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.