About PHP CodeIgniter FramE Work

djbuddhi

I just watched the first 5 minutes, and would like to say that code ignighter looks gay. Just learn how to write good PHP and you won't need a framework.

Wow, what an enlightening and intelligent comment.

I've been using CodeIgniter as a framework for well over a year and it has taken my average production time from idea-to-live site from a few weeks to a few DAYS.

I'm guessing you're either a purist nazi or just a closed-minding, immature troll. Or maybe both.

If you have nothing USEFUL or WORTHWHILE to say.. seriously, don't waste the bandwidth or time typing it.

What's the advantage of an MVC Framework?

Primary advantage of reduction in time it takes to produce quality, clean code. The other upside is the theory of Model-View-Controller (Look it up). Most worthwhile thing from MVC for me is the separation of Code from the View (front end).

I've been a php developer for almost 10 years. I have nothing but praise for CodeIgniter. It's well written and very well documented. If you can't figure it out, you should consider another line of work ;)

I just watched the first 5 minutes, and would like to say that code ignighter looks gay. Just learn how to write good PHP and you won't need a framework.

What an ignorant statement. If you're a good developer then you will not write everything from scratch each time but rather reuse things. This is what a framework essentially helps you with. You're probably going to end up having about the same application layout in almost all of your projects anyways.

Nevertheless, I don't like CodeIgniter either.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazon has a few books that are helpful.

Follow those video tutorials - that really is a good start.

Once I got my head around the MVC architecture, I loved it. But, it took me a bit to realize its power - and I realized its power by getting my hands dirty and writing a program in CodeIgniter.

CodeIgniter is by far the easiest to set up and just start programming in. Zend, CakePHP, and some others have a little more involved that confused me as a framework newbie. That doesn't mean I hate them and won't use them...I just think the learning curve is steeper and take a little more experience to really understand what you're doing.

I've read that each framework has its place. I can certainly agree with that  - and I'm trying right now to learn as much as I can about each framework so I can expand my knowledge and be ready to work with each one.

I think CI is a great place to start - but I wouldn't limit it to JUST CI. The other frameworks are great and have their place. They don't have any place with stupid people, however.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.