Zend Framework

ionik

Here is has worked with this framework?

I am hoping on getting a job that requires this and would like to know how others have done with it.

Is it a nice solid framework easy to learn, how are the class structures etc etc...is it easy to integrate your own class engines into the framework, what were some problems that you experienced with it if any and what were some advantages.

I'm looking to get some input and advice from others who've used it not tutorials and other info.

Easy to learn? Depends. If you have plenty of experience with PHP OOP, then yes. Otherwise, hell no.

Design wise, it's pretty solid. Especially compared to other PHP frameworks out there. It's easy to extend and build on, if you know what you're doing. Luckily there is tons and tons of info about it, and the docs are pretty elaborate as well.

It is pretty safe to assume there will be a board dedicated Zend Framework in the very, very near future on PHPFreaks (it's being voted on now, and it looks like it will pass). So PHPFreaks will likely become a good source for help with ZF.

I have experience with ZF, so have some of the other staff. I look forward to answering any specific questions you may have.

Tbh, I've never used CI, aside from a little Hello World sandbox. From what I did get with that, I'd say it's pretty damn easy to use, but not by far as extensible as ZF.

Maybe Mark (redbullmarky) can come by later and give you some more insights, he's a CI fan.

Edit: oh, and it's not going to be board dedicated to ZF, but to PHP frameworks in general. Sorry for the confusion.

code igniter from a "packed full of tonnes of useful features" and learning point of view is ace - its docs are pretty good and easy to get into. however, it's not exactly a good example of best practice and it's elements are pretty tightly coupled, globals, etc. i've not used it much apart from ages ago (personal use/learning) and recently (at work) and i do get pretty frustrated with it for various reasons. I prefer Cake as it's more solid, established and has more than one guy writing the core code for it.

So i'd say use code igniter for a "jump start" - whether you use it or not is up to you, it's definitely better than building a site from scratch - and see where you go from there.

ZF is intense and intimidating unless you know what you're doing/looking for, but very solid. It also doesn't hold your hand structurally - so you can use the components it provides how you see fit, rather than having a rigid structure enforced out the box. My biggest gripe (which also could be (and has been pointed out to be that it could be) considered a positive) is some of the classnames are very large, so I find it fairly easy to get lost or confused. However - I've not played with it extensively aside from the introduction tutorial (which WAS easy to follow, granted) so this is more than likely just a case of yet another learning curve rather than any fault of the framework.

• 2 weeks later...

ZF is intense and intimidating unless you know what you're doing/looking for, but very solid. It also doesn't hold your hand structurally - so you can use the components it provides how you see fit, rather than having a rigid structure enforced out the box. My biggest gripe (which also could be (and has been pointed out to be that it could be) considered a positive) is some of the classnames are very large, so I find it fairly easy to get lost or confused. However - I've not played with it extensively aside from the introduction tutorial (which WAS easy to follow, granted) so this is more than likely just a case of yet another learning curve rather than any fault of the framework.

i second that... i started trying to learn it for a project im working on but realized as few things: 1) its probably the most solid out there (although this isnt based on personal experience but rather on stuff ive read and others experiences) 2) the learning curve is steep enough that i had to back out and do this project with that i already have available in my personal library because there was no way i could learn ZF and still have time to finish the job on time  :P

• 3 weeks later...

eh I started this a month ago.....here's my experience with the framework so far

It is absolutely wonderful :)>

It does have its downsides and a steep learning curve if you don't know OOP or arent used to developing strictly in OOP.

The Docs for it are great and really makes life easier.

The flexibility is absolutely wonderful, it has its own standards but you develop any you like ( major plus ).

It does have it downsides from my point of view ( such as the Zend_Db ) using it with the Model can become quite tiresome and more complicated than simply writing out your own queries in MySQL strings, although my sql statements are more advanced than more people will need to use.

All in all once you get over the steep learning curve, you wont want to go back into traditional coding methods....

ok so i think i want to learn zend framework where do i start? any video tutorials to begin with? i feel that books are abit boring...

http://www.killerphp.com/zend-framework/videos/

a quickstart video tutorial....I myself didn't use it but  co-worker did ( a he never used a framework before ) and said it was a great tutoial

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.