[SOLVED] Security of $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] value

xtopolis

Hi,

To solve an include(really: require) problem I was having [include within an include], I defined a constant DOCROOT to be $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/folder.

<?php
DEFINE('DOCROOT',$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/folder/');
?>

For my hosted webserver, this gives me a value of:

"/kunden/homepages/35/d181803461/htdocs/folder/"

The reason I chose DOCUMENT_ROOT over putting the url of the domain is because my host does not allow fopen for urls, and the includes fail.

So my question is, are there any security issues with people viewing the source seeing the directory structure like that?  Neither the 35 nor d181... are relevant #s to my account or anything that I would use to login, fyi.  Should I change how I do includes, or will this be fine?

[FYI, my include problem was from including within an include using '../' hierarchy that changed when I tried to do the same from a different folder on the same level.  I can address this separately if needed.]

Alright, I'll take it that showing the document structure as I posted is fine, and that my $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] var is safe.

That is an interesting article, albeit from 2005.  Wonder if it still works...

Also, aside from the server being hacked, which then of course the website would be compromised, I will assume DOCUMENT_ROOT cannot be modified.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.