Large Hadron Collider

redbullmarky

lol

The thing i find funny was that some people seemed to be relieved that we were still here after it was turned on yesterday, failing to realise that they've not actually collided anything yet.

I personally don't see why people are bothered at all, but then again I know nothing of particle physics.  Hrmmm neither do they though... lol

lol

The thing i find funny was that some people seemed to be relieved that we were still here after it was turned on yesterday, failing to realise that they've not actually collided anything yet.

Yeah... they just tested sending particles one direction.  Later they are going to test sending them the other direction.  Still later they are going to test sending them both directions at once.  Even more later after that they are going to test colliding them, except at lower speeds.  And THEN they will finally fire it up to those "omg black holes the world is going to end" speeds and collisions.  Expect to see that happen sometime next summer-fall.

It's kind of special time for me, as I've been taking part in LHC@home for last four years. It's a distributed computing project, that was helping in calibrating those superconducting magnets. Now I see my CPU cycles weren't wasted, as I read yesterday that people at CERN were amazed by how smooth everything went.

It's kind of special time for me, as I've been taking part in LHC@home for last four years. It's a distributed computing project, that was helping in calibrating those superconducting magnets. Now I see my CPU cycles weren't wasted, as I read yesterday that [people at CERN were amazed by how smooth everything went.]

That sorta implies that they didn't expect things to go smoothly...

What a kick ass thing to say.  Oh my God, I didn't even think of that.  Then again, if it turns out that the universe wasn't created in 7 days (and I'm sure it wasn't), then people will just say it was metaphorical or a day was different back then.  lol

You'd be surprised at some of the ridiculous things I've heard when I bring something like that up to one of my Christian friends. xD

What a kick ass thing to say.  Oh my God, I didn't even think of that.  Then again, if it turns out that the universe wasn't created in 7 days (and I'm sure it wasn't), then people will just say it was metaphorical or a day was different back then.  lol

Christians won't be changing their argument to say that; they already believe it:

3First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:3-9

p.s. - I think this thread is coming dangerously close to turning into a religion bashing thread...

I pick Hawking because he's got that cool voice thing.  (Never heard of their disagreement and is too lazy to look it up)

Some say it's just Microsoft Sam's voice :P

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/09/hawking-vs-higg.html

Interesting.  I think that regardless of what we discover (or don't discover), there will be major changes in the scientific views of particle physics and other things.  I mean, I bet Higgs would be happy if we found his boson, but anything is good. xD

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.