Would Anyone Be Interested In An Application Like This?

Liquid Fire

I am not going to go into major depth about what it would provide but just feeling the waters from a developer stand point.

When dealing with Websites/Applications, people can have quite a few management systems.  The most 2 common that I have worked with are Content Management Systems and Project Management Systems.  Now there are many others, like if you have a tour company you would have a Reservation Management System or a lot of companies used some sort of Lead/Customer, and I am sure there are others I don’t know about.

One things that has really bothered me was that lets say here at my job we have 3 of the top four systems in place but all of them are a separate applications which means it require 3 separate logins, has 3 separate interface, well you get the idea.  What I want to do is create a sort of “Application Framework” to build off of.

Now I have a custom framework that is pretty near the end of completion and this “Application Framework” is going to be the first project that I build using it(but it has been tested at my job and works well).  Now the bare bone system of this “Application Framework” is going to be an extremely flexible and powerful user/user permissions system.  This will be the one of two keys to the whole system(the other key is being able to extend the system) but I have a have a pretty good idea on where to start.  Now aside from the core system, I am also going to project a Project Management module as the first module of the system that I official release.

From this brief description of what I am going after, would this interest anyone?  I mean it would not have a lot in it from the start but if enough people came in and create cool little modules for it and released it for free it would be I think it would be a great tool that does not yet exist(and if something like this does exist, please let me know but I have not found anything yet). 

I created something like this, although this project was scrapped.

I had a user management system, with 'modules' that were extending functionality of the application. Each user could have different privilege level for each module. Etc...

I have built a "Engine" that is all oop and has a built in permissions management systems. I saves me a lot of coding but is currently only used for websites and applications built by my business.

I can also merge permissions between sites and develop modules rather that recode a miilion authentcation systems for every customer that requires a login system.

Well worth developing one if your program lots of sites.

I have built a "Engine" that is all oop and has a built in permissions management systems. I saves me a lot of coding but is currently only used for websites and applications built by my business.

I can also merge permissions between sites and develop modules rather that recode a miilion authentcation systems for every customer that requires a login system.

Well worth developing one if your program lots of sites.

Not what i had visioned but thinking about it, that could be another good use for something like this.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but be careful not to reinvent the wheel. While the systems are very often standalone systems with separate interfaces/logins, etc. From a business standpoint it often doesn't make sense to spending the man hours building an alternative solution.

While the different interfaces concern would not be addressed, you might consider looking into single sign on capability for these systems. You could look at how you might modify them for an ActiveDirectory authentication, or by building a custom middleware component that allowed the systems to communicate.

Just a thought... I'm constantly faced with the exact same dilemma you're talking about.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but be careful not to reinvent the wheel. While the systems are very often standalone systems with separate interfaces/logins, etc. From a business standpoint it often doesn't make sense to spending the man hours building an alternative solution.

While the different interfaces concern would not be addressed, you might consider looking into single sign on capability for these systems. You could look at how you might modify them for an ActiveDirectory authentication, or by building a custom middleware component that allowed the systems to communicate.

Just a thought... I'm constantly faced with the exact same dilemma you're talking about.

Yea, i am not really about fixing this at my current job because it is not really a issue they have brought up and with what they want use to do and the man power we have, we don't do anything unless asked or we now it is 100% needed.

I would agree that if this was for a business need and they wanted a low cost solution, building a custom middle ware that authenticated all systems automatically would be the best option, I am not worried about that.

I am also not opposed to re-inventing the wheel if i think i can make it better and/or easier to use.  For instance i built my own MVC framework to learn more about MVC but it seems to run just as fast if not faster than other common popular frameworks(like Zend, Symfony).  Now i did not create a custom email class or template system as I would not be able to do it any better than what is out there, I just integrated existing ones into my framework.

Now i have wanted to build a very good web-based project management system(most out there that are free are crap with features or are a bit old in the interface).  I was think that just building a user management system is the first part of the project and if i do it right i can build something that is very very flexible.

Now i have wanted to build a very good web-based project management system(most out there that are free are crap with features or are a bit old in the interface).  I was think that just building a user management system is the first part of the project and if i do it right i can build something that is very very flexible.

I wanted to do this for a long time too. I've not been real impressed with the open source/free options for project management tools. It's not free but a really nice PM tool is http://www.teamdynamix.com

I wanted to do this for a long time too. I've not been real impressed with the open source/free options for project management tools. It's not free but a really nice PM tool is http://www.teamdynamix.com

I just try to sign up for a free demo but the link that was sent to me does not work so i can't try it, it would be nice to try it tho.

NVM: just got it to work

Yea it looks pretty nice.  I would be interested in their pricing schema.  I plan all have all there features they show in the video demos except the graphs in my first version.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.