What do you think?

burn1337

1) The site is too wide and you need to scroll to the right to see everything.  Nobody wants to do that.

2) My eyes hurt after looking at it.

3) It seems like it took 15 minutes in MS Paint and basic HTML.

I can't say much more without possibly being considered offensive. >_<

Hmm thats kinda ironic I've never had to scroll to the right, and I still don't

Why does your eyes hurt? is the color scheme not working for you?

The background image I did myself... no I'm not good at all with graphic design that those pics are my very first pics lol, and as for being basic html.. well until I get everything coded, its in a simple/complicated table design structure and php. No simple html is actually being used other then tables I guess lol

My advise would be to learn tableless design using minimal amount of divs and CSS. Much more fine-grained control.

Just do a Google search on 'tableless web design', and you will get some good links to get you started.

Cheers,

NRG

Also, pick better colors and get someone who knows about graphic design to help you out.

Well I do know about tableless design I didn't go to college for nothing... I'm just old school so yea, and as for the the getting someone for graphic design, I do have someone, he just doesn't have alot of time.

And for the scrolling... Your the first person to ever say anything about that, I have been on multiple computers, and browsers. So to be honest I feel that it is probably your display settings or something. Cause I haven't had to scroll once yet except up and down lol. Plus I have my tables set so that display settings and browsers have no actual effect on that(the entire thing is browser un-specific, not very easy to acquire with tableless design I've done it but more complicated), if anything it could be because of my google search bar, which in that case it would be your display setting(is your display settings under 1024x768? cause if so then I understand why you are saying that.).

By the way Alpha seeing as everyone is so "AHH" about the whole div/css combo, css started with tables, and actually if I remember correctly css is more versitle with tables anyway. Besides I'm not just using a couple tables or a simple design that is not going to be displaying much content. Do many community site actually use Divs to begin with? Maybe for the profiles, but for the most part I have almost always seen Tables.  Anyways thank you guys for your opinions, but currently I got other work that needs to get figured out.

1024x768 on this monitor and I have to scroll to the right.  Want a screenshot?

Also, CSS didn't start with tables, what are you talking about?  CSS is versatile with everything, and tables are the same as everything else.  They should be used for tabular data though, not layouts.

Especially with light color text, it's always an eye sore when the background is black.

The fluid layout, problem with that is there is not enough content to fill the width of the screen, I'm using 2560x1600, if my window is maximized, it looks like a big void in between and the login boxes are way over to the right. For example, when you are on the john, would you prefer to reach over just a little or across the room, just to grab some necessary toilet paper?

Overall, to be totally honest (I hope that's why you want critique), is that the colors, layout look slapped together, nothing exciting about it.

like darkwater mentioned, tables are better for tabular layout. tables is an ancient method for layout, css is the new.

Do many community site actually use Divs to begin with? Maybe for the profiles, but for the most part I have almost always seen Tables.  Anyways thank you guys for your opinions, but currently I got other work that needs to get figured out.

Maybe not, probably because the person they got to do the web design, don't know how to use css, which I have no idea why, since CSS is really not that difficult.

By the way Alpha seeing as everyone is so "AHH" about the whole div/css combo, css started with tables, and actually if I remember correctly css is more versitle with tables anyway. Besides I'm not just using a couple tables or a simple design that is not going to be displaying much content. Do many community site actually use Divs to begin with? Maybe for the profiles, but for the most part I have almost always seen Tables.

CSS was devised to separate content from presentation.. Tables fail this miserably.

As to your question 'Do many community site actually use Divs to begin with?', this is irrelevant.

If you are serious in learning proper web dev techniques, don't concern yourself about what the 'others' do (especially when dealing with old archaic web practices). If you are building a site from the ground up, take advantage of this by building it with up with proper coding adherences in mind. If the 'others' build theirs using tables galore, that's their prerogative.

All I can say is that I was sadly once a table-hugger.. until I learned CSS tableless design. No way I can go back now.

(with all due respect, your question reminds me of when I was young and got into trouble for doing something stupid because my friends did it.. my mother would ask.. "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too"?) Then father would come home  :(

By the way Alpha seeing as everyone is so "AHH" about the whole div/css combo, css started with tables, and actually if I remember correctly css is more versitle with tables anyway. Besides I'm not just using a couple tables or a simple design that is not going to be displaying much content. Do many community site actually use Divs to begin with? Maybe for the profiles, but for the most part I have almost always seen Tables.

CSS was devised to separate content from presentation.. Tables fail this miserably.

As to your question 'Do many community site actually use Divs to begin with?', this is irrelevant.

If you are serious in learning proper web dev techniques, don't concern yourself about what the 'others' do (especially when dealing with old archaic web practices). If you are building a site from the ground up, take advantage of this by building it with up with proper coding adherences in mind. If the 'others' build theirs using tables galore, that's their prerogative.

All I can say is that I was sadly once a table-hugger.. until I learned CSS tableless design. No way I can go back now.

(with all due respect, your question reminds me of when I was young and got into trouble for doing something stupid because my friends did it.. my mother would ask.. "if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too"?) Then father would come home  :(

My mom always said that too, but I just responded "Yeah, but I'm smarter than them.  I'd use a bungee cord."

My mom always said that too, but I just responded "Yeah, but I'm smarter than them.  I'd use a bungee cord."

Darkwater, If I ever answered my mom with something like that, I would get 5 across the eyes (as Al Bundy would say).  ;)

I was better off just behaving and then deal with consequences from my dad.

DarkWater, if it didn't start with tables then would you please tell me why it is that when I was learning CSS in college we used tables(I don't mean that css started for tables I ment it, being that layout design with css started with tables)? Although your right it is versitle with just about everything.

Alpha, I wasn't trying to mean it as in "I want to fit in" type of thing, it was just supposed to be a factorial statement. I do know tableless design, it has been awhile since using it but still. I am a table hugger though, I kinda oldschool with everything. I started learning everything back when so it's just what I'm used to, besides I slapped together my layout simply because I needed to get something up lol

Actually I want the critique for those reasons and more, I want to design this website around what the users, and people think. Except I barely have any users yet so yea. I have been thinking about re-doing the design, I'm just not exactly sure what I want to use and how, the layout now was basicly slapped together, which is why I am obviously having problems with it. Although I do need to brush up a bit with my css and div scope, before I would think about re-doing the layout with that. It's obvious I have layout problems I am wondering if that is why my forum is not displaying anymore lol, But Thanks everyone, and hopefully I get everything worked out soon

DarkWater, if it didn't start with tables then would you please tell me why it is that when I was learning CSS in college we used tables(I don't mean that css started for tables I ment it, being that layout design with css started with tables)? Although your right it is versitle with just about everything.

Alpha, I wasn't trying to mean it as in "I want to fit in" type of thing, it was just supposed to be a factorial statement. I do know tableless design, it has been awhile since using it but still. I am a table hugger though, I kinda oldschool with everything. I started learning everything back when so it's just what I'm used to, besides I slapped together my layout simply because I needed to get something up lol

Actually I want the critique for those reasons and more, I want to design this website around what the users, and people think. Except I barely have any users yet so yea. I have been thinking about re-doing the design, I'm just not exactly sure what I want to use and how, the layout now was basicly slapped together, which is why I am obviously having problems with it. Although I do need to brush up a bit with my css and div scope, before I would think about re-doing the layout with that. It's obvious I have layout problems I am wondering if that is why my forum is not displaying anymore lol, But Thanks everyone, and hopefully I get everything worked out soon

I have no idea why you learned CSS layouts with tables in college.  That's honestly horrible, and I bet that half the people that help on the CSS board on this forum know more about layouts than your professor, especially if he taught it to you with tables and CSS.  That's just my opinion.

DarkWater, I attended college a few years ago. In the books that we had to buy for the web development class I took, the book is what used css with the tables. The newer books now use divs instead of tables. As I said thats what I learned it with, thats what I'm used to lol. No offense but I highly doubt there are many people here who could do better then my professors, probably some who could with a couple of my professors, but past that I highly doubt. 

I was learning CSS in college

if SOME teachers were great, you would think he/she would be doing something else that makes more money. I remember going to college for one class, cause I was curious about a programming language that I already knew, but thinking I may pick up something new, instead I found that the teacher was all theory and no practical experience, plus not keeping up with current technology. I ditched that class soon after.

ifubad, I understand that, one of my professors I had for a VB programming class, it was obvious he knew how to program, but he didn't know how to teach the class, I always worked much farther ahead of the rest of my class with every class I took, and I asked a couple questions about more advanced VB programming, rather then just what was going to be discussed and taught in class, and he coudln't give me any kind of an answer.

1024x768 on this monitor and I have to scroll to the right.  Want a screenshot?

Also, CSS didn't start with tables, what are you talking about?  CSS is versatile with everything, and tables are the same as everything else.  They should be used for tabular data though, not layouts.

Um... table layout is deprecated ... and you have a LOT of problems with multi-browser compatibility that you don't have with DIV's.

I used to use tables but took the time to learn how to div... and I found it is in fact better... had more versatile too.

Only use tables for layout when it's the only option...

Tables are for displaying tabular data... they were never designed for layout.  td is short for table data th is short for table header etc... see? :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.