What do you think?

burn1337

I know this AV, I use tables now cause I'm still in the process of getting everything coded, for me tables are extremely easy so, until I get everything (background and what nots) finished tables for me is easier to put it together to have something at least half way decent as for being still in beta stages. Now when I do finally get things out of the preliminary stage,  I will probably do that. Until then I am more then content with my tables.

There is no need for you to try to sell me on css tableless design. I know how to do it, granted I am not that great. Doesn't mean  I do not know how.

Anyways thank you all for your suggestions and what not. I hope maybe you would check back at a later time, cause I do plan for things to change alot with my website, and much more will be added, changed, and the what nots.

Tis true to each, their own lol. I have never converted, I know its gonna be alot of work when I convert my entire layout. Plus I have alot that I'm gonna change; I'm in the process of starting a wikipedia type of thing games, and if this does get big enough to at least support it's self and what not, I hope to do an mmorpg. Possibly maybe one day do my own o.s. not to sure yet.

from what i've learned in my very short time of coding, use tables only to display tabular data.

even then I reckon someone does that with CSS and lists!

just a quick pointer in terms of SEO etc, i personally couldn't find anywhere that told me what the site was actually for. To get listed well in google et al, you need to have some content that clearly outlines what the site does. The pages that I thought logically that information should be under are all password protected...even if you don't do it for google, do it for the end user!!

I didn't have any scrolling issues...have a look at browsershots.org and change the settings to view your site in different screen sizes...I used that so much when designing my site it was very useful...and still is actually!!

(if you do really want to use tables, then maybe use CSS to style them a little)

I find the neon on black color scheme hard to look at ... too busy... giving the site a "juvenile" look... just an opinion...

agreed also you used a large background image that makes you pretty basic page take longer than it should to load with the data also the banner is.. well nice way to put it kinda bad.

sam_h, Thanks for that site, I can see why it was such a great help, I will probably use it often as well. The reason it is still password protected is because first there isn't much content to begin with, and I'm not sure what to put as my "purpose" there is alot I want to do with this, and in time it will present it's self.

serverman, Well I am already working on a new design, and color scheme, btw I know my banner is bad, it's the first picture I ever made from scratch lol.

if you need help making a layout i would be happy to help you in my extra time but i cant do a good banner to save my life(thats how i know what a bad banner looks like because it looks like somthing i made lol)

That's why graphic designers get paid nicely. =P  Good thing I'm good with photoshop and don't need people to make me graphics. xD

Well if you would like to do something as a layout, that would be great, but I don't really need it, for right now the tables work for me. I know they are not the most conventional or the best and what not, but until I get the ground basis for everything I need to get coded( most of which at the moment is mainly Content Management and Administration scripts). I do plan to re-code the entire website, I plan to go with tableless layout design.

I do already have my best friend working on some graphics... that is if he will be able to keep up with it. .. the background that he has already given me is here http://newrealm.no-ip.info/bg4.jpg if you want to take a look at it, he is in the middle of tweaking it some more.

As to who gets paid more ... normally depends on the job, for instance now days Graphic Designers are needed more so then web programmers. Or at least as to what I've noticed. But network admins are in an even more need. That and programmers.

Well if you would like to do something as a layout, that would be great, but I don't really need it, for right now the tables work for me. I know they are not the most conventional or the best and what not, but until I get the ground basis for everything I need to get coded( most of which at the moment is mainly Content Management and Administration scripts). I do plan to re-code the entire website, I plan to go with tableless layout design.

I do already have my best friend working on some graphics... that is if he will be able to keep up with it. .. the background that he has already given me is here http://newrealm.no-ip.info/bg4.jpg if you want to take a look at it, he is in the middle of tweaking it some more.

As to who gets paid more ... normally depends on the job, for instance now days Graphic Designers are needed more so then web programmers. Or at least as to what I've noticed. But network admins are in an even more need. That and programmers.

That bg looks like a desktop wallpaper that someone could find on the internet, not something that one would use for a website.  Also, it's 1440x900, which is huge considering that 1024x768 is the one of the most common monitor sizes.

Ya I know that's why I asked him to size it down a bit, and I wanted to change it so that the background of the pic was black with a green gradient instead of just straight green, he threw that together in one night. If I had better programs to use I would probably just do it all myself. Although with the coding or everything, plus learning the whole graphics design part of it as well is kinda well tough. 

That's why graphic designers get paid nicely

who gets paid more, a graphic designer or web programmer?

at the high end the programmer does but at the low end the designer does.

I can do anything graphic and can create anything I can see... but I am no artist... so I can't think up a logo or banner to save my life...

Oh and just so you know, the most widely used browsing resolution is still 1024x768 (about 42%). In second is 1280x768 (about 35%) which is not too far behind.

So a design scheme that doesn't support 1024x768 is probably a design scheme that needs thinking.

Everyone is only trying to help

Thanks Jake I knew the average person online has either 1024/1280x 768 I have done my research, and please don't get me wrong I know I can come off as rude at times, I understand completely that people are trying to help... Thank you all by the way.

At this current time I am in the middle of re-coding the entire site; layout/design, I already have made a new banner and background picture, My entire code is going to be re-vised/re-coded. If anyone would like to view the banner and background http://newrealm.no-ip.info/test/ ... and for future refference that is where anyone can see the progress of the new design and code.

Ya I kinda figured that would be ruff on the eyes, I already have done another one, I just don't have it in the server folders yet, when I get home Ill set it up if you guys would like to take a look at it, trust me it is nowhere near has harsh on the eyes, btw what do you guys think of the banner? good? bad??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.