Help with countdown (Local time error)

Chezshire

Hello Everyone.

I'm a newb who has been playing with coding, php, javascript, and other net related things for a few months and has very, very little idea of what he is doing. I've run into a road block and i'm hoping some nice kind <note the butt smooching here ;) > wonderful person out their < i.e. you reading things please please please help me ;) > might be able to prove some advice or wisdom in resolving my problem. Huge thanks!

PROBLEM:

A friend hep me update some stuff on my site last night, and now i'm getting an odd error which results in a pop up window appearing that says 'Launch time!' which i have to click 'OK' to proceed to any page which has the javascript on it.

I believe the problem has something to do with line #49 as shown below (full javascript is at the bottom of this post - i've pull the two areas which I think are related to the problem and spotlighted them for anyone who might be able to help me out with resolving this issue.

#045 cdLocalTime.prototype.showresults=function(){
#046 var thisobj=this
#047 var debugstring=(this.debugmode)? "<p style=\"background-color: #FCD6D6; color: black; padding: 5px\"><big>Debug Mode on!</big><br /><b>Current Local time:</b> "+this.localtime.toLocaleString()+"<br />Verify this is the correct current local time, in other words, time zone of count down date.<br /><br /><b>Target Time:</b> "+this.targetdate.toLocaleString()+"<br />Verify this is the date/time you wish to count down to (should be a future date).</p>" : ""

#049 var timediff=(this.targetdate-this.localtime)/1000 //difference btw target date and current date, in seconds

#49 var timediff=(this.targetdate-this.localtime)/1000 //difference btw target date and current date, in seconds
#50 if (timediff<0){ //if time is up
#51 this.timesup=true
#52 this.container.innerHTML=debugstring+this.formatresults()
#53 return
#54 }

#105  }
#106  else{ //else if target date/time met
#107  var displaystring="" //Don't display any text

#108  alert("Launch time!") //Instead, perform a custom alert

#109  }
#110 return displaystring
#111  }

ERROR MESSAGE:

Debug Mode on!

Current Local time: September 14, 2008 8:27:02 AM PDT

Verify this is the correct current local time, in other words, time zone of count down date.

Target Time: September 14, 2008 12:00:05 AM PDT

Verify this is the date/time you wish to count down to (should be a future date).

undefined

Full code for page (It's loaded several times in various places)

[/b]
<head>
<style type="text/css">
	 .lcdstyle{ /*Example CSS to create LCD countdown look*/
	background-color:#050F1D;
	color:fff;
	font: bold 16px MS Sans Serif;
	padding: 3px;
	}

.lcdstyle sup{ /*Example CSS to create LCD countdown look*/
	font-size: 80%
	}
	</style>
</head>

<script type="text/javascript">

//To debug or reset cloc add ',debugmode' to the function line below - remove once reset

function cdLocalTime(container, servermode, offsetMinutes, targetdate, debugmode){
if (!document.getElementById || !document.getElementById(container)) return
this.container=document.getElementById(container)
var servertimestring=(servermode=="server-php")? '<? print date("F d, Y H:i:s", time())?>' : (servermode=="server-ssi")? '<!--#config timefmt="%B %d, %Y %H:%M:%S"--><!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->' : '<%= Now() %>'
this.localtime=this.serverdate=new Date(servertimestring)
this.targetdate=new Date(targetdate)
this.debugmode=(typeof debugmode!="undefined")? 1 : 0
this.timesup=false
this.localtime.setTime(this.serverdate.getTime()+offsetMinutes*60*1000) //add user offset to server time
this.updateTime()
}

cdLocalTime.prototype.updateTime=function(){
var thisobj=this
this.localtime.setSeconds(this.localtime.getSeconds()+1)
setTimeout(function(){thisobj.updateTime()}, 1000) //update time every second
}

cdLocalTime.prototype.displaycountdown=function(baseunit, functionref){
this.baseunit=baseunit
this.formatresults=functionref
this.showresults()
}

cdLocalTime.prototype.showresults=function(){
var thisobj=this
var debugstring=(this.debugmode)? "<p style=\"background-color: #FCD6D6; color: black; padding: 5px\"><big>Debug Mode on!</big><br /><b>Current Local time:</b> "+this.localtime.toLocaleString()+"<br />Verify this is the correct current local time, in other words, time zone of count down date.<br /><br /><b>Target Time:</b> "+this.targetdate.toLocaleString()+"<br />Verify this is the date/time you wish to count down to (should be a future date).</p>" : ""

var timediff=(this.targetdate-this.localtime)/1000 //difference btw target date and current date, in seconds
if (timediff<0){ //if time is up
this.timesup=true
this.container.innerHTML=debugstring+this.formatresults()
return
}
var oneMinute=60 //minute unit in seconds
var oneHour=60*60 //hour unit in seconds
var oneDay=60*60*24 //day unit in seconds
var dayfield=Math.floor(timediff/oneDay)
var hourfield=Math.floor((timediff-dayfield*oneDay)/oneHour)
var minutefield=Math.floor((timediff-dayfield*oneDay-hourfield*oneHour)/oneMinute)
var secondfield=Math.floor((timediff-dayfield*oneDay-hourfield*oneHour-minutefield*oneMinute))
if (this.baseunit=="hours"){ //if base unit is hours, set "hourfield" to be topmost level
hourfield=dayfield*24+hourfield
dayfield="n/a"
}
else if (this.baseunit=="minutes"){ //if base unit is minutes, set "minutefield" to be topmost level
minutefield=dayfield*24*60+hourfield*60+minutefield
dayfield=hourfield="n/a"
}
else if (this.baseunit=="seconds"){ //if base unit is seconds, set "secondfield" to be topmost level
var secondfield=timediff
dayfield=hourfield=minutefield="n/a"
}
this.container.innerHTML=debugstring+this.formatresults(dayfield, hourfield, minutefield, secondfield)
setTimeout(function(){thisobj.showresults()}, 1000) //update results every second
}

/////CUSTOM FORMAT OUTPUT FUNCTIONS BELOW//////////////////////////////

//Create your own custom format function to pass into cdLocalTime.displaycountdown()
//Use arguments[0] to access "Days" left
//Use arguments[1] to access "Hours" left
//Use arguments[2] to access "Minutes" left
//Use arguments[3] to access "Seconds" left

//The values of these arguments may change depending on the "baseunit" parameter of cdLocalTime.displaycountdown()
//For example, if "baseunit" is set to "hours", arguments[0] becomes meaningless and contains "n/a"
//For example, if "baseunit" is set to "minutes", arguments[0] and arguments[1] become meaningless etc

//1) Display countdown using plain text
function formatresults(){
if (this.timesup==false){//if target date/time not yet met
var displaystring="<span style='background-color: #CFEAFE'>"+arguments[1]+" hours "+arguments[2]+" minutes "+arguments[3]+" seconds</span>"
}
else{ //else if target date/time met
var displaystring="rollover!"
}
return displaystring
}

//2) Display countdown with a stylish LCD look, and display an alert on target date/time
function formatresults2(){
if (this.timesup==false){ //if target date/time not yet met
var displaystring="<span class='lcdstyle'>"+arguments[0]+" <sup>days</sup> "+arguments[1]+" <sup>hours</sup> "+arguments[2]+" <sup>minutes</sup> "+arguments[3]+" <sup>seconds</sup></span> Until Rollover"
}
return displaystring
}

</script>

<body>
<div id="cdcontainer"></div>

<script type="text/javascript">
//cdLocalTime("ID_of_DIV_container", "server_mode", LocaltimeoffsetMinutes, "target_date", "opt_debug_mode")
//cdLocalTime.displaycountdown("base_unit", formatfunction_reference)

//Note: "launchdate" should be an arbitrary but unique variable for each instance of a countdown on your page:

var launchdate=new cdLocalTime("cdcontainer", "server-php", 0, "September 14, 2008 00:00:05", "debugmode")
launchdate.displaycountdown("days", formatresults2)
</script>

</body>
</html>

If I understand your issue right, you are wanting to turn off the debug mode so that the alert box does not appear on every page. If so, consider the following line:

function cdLocalTime(container, servermode, offsetMinutes, targetdate, debugmode)

If you pass in the final parameter (no matter what it is), the debugmode of the object is set to 1 (or on). So, wherever you call cdLocalTime(), you need to be sure you have only 4 parameters and not 5. Removing the 5th parameter will turn off debug mode for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.