want to know how to optimize a site to work with all browsers

yanivkalfa

i have a serius problem .. i have made a site .. very big site i based it all on Firefox 3 .. now people been inside it and told me it has many many bugs on  IE7 and opera and chrom and on every browser it has diffrent problem ..

the address is http://e-lephant.org/Home.php

.. now i am asking .. is there any way of makeing a site to work on all browsers the same way ?? any tips pointers or any help is very welcome

please try to visit the site in diffrant browsers and see what i mean..

First, make sure you have no errors in your code. This is a major cause of cross-browser discrepancies. Each browser interprets errors in its own way, and this causes different browsers to interpret your code in different ways.

Finally, IE will interpret code in its own way no matter what you do. There are ways to minimize this (use padding instead of margins), but its still going to happen. So use conditional comments to adjust your site to work in IE after you have got it to work in other browsers.

You my friend have learned a valuable lesson. TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST and then TEST some more.

Have IE7, IE6, FF, Opera and any other browser you can handy to test it in. Basically if you code it correctly, it will display in most non-IE browsers with almost no problem, IE likes to do things it's own way. Welcome to web design :)

Nate

Your site reminds me of the days when I was learning CSS. To be kind, this site needs a total re-design. All of those absolutely positioned divs and tables have got to go. You need to learn relative positioning. What you are trying to do is relatively easy if you will search for "CSS float tutorial" on yahoo. Once you have learned how to float divs, scrap what you have made and see what you come up with. The whole idea of absolute positioning isn't to make a CSS table, which is what you have made. Absolute positioning is very necessary, but with the wrong implementation, you may as well have made the site in Frontpage or Dreamweaver.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.