Why learn LISP?

Maq

I'm taking a class for non-imperative languages and the majority of the class involves LISP.  My professor suggested that LISP is like learning Latin for speaking better English.  You may never use LISP but it will make you a better programmer.  Is this true?  What are your thoughts?

Haha that's funny.  LISP does have a lot of parentheses, which is very annoying.  But I hear it's a very powerful language that can accomplish a lot in a short amount of code, if you know what you're doing.  I was just wondering about the major benefits of this language and some solid unbiased reasons why it's actually good to learn (besides recursion).  Thanks.

Really, dabbling around in any kind of other language can help you improve ... rather drastically.

all programming is  is a bunch of jargon anyway.

when I learned HTML for the first time....I was absolutely clueless.

and I had no teacher to help me. nothing but homestead, geocities, angelfire...and I used hotspot.com for my searching back in them days.

If I were to go back in time and mention PHP to myself or what it does...I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.

it wasn't until I learned what preprocessing actually meant that I could appreciate PHP.

same concept with OOP.  Fortunately for me....before I even heard the word OOP.  I had taken a class in Java in a university I went to a few years back.  They still didn't call it OOP, it was just they Java was coded.  So by the time I passed my Java class and decided I came out with nothing on it anyway, I realized that PHP has a thing called OOP that looks really similar to Java's structure.

So all in all, I can't say I'm a Java expert or anything....but if I didn't take that class.....I doubt I would know how to use OOP to this day.

just have to say it one more tme....OOP

strangely enough this ancient language is probably still used. latest thing I can remember that was developed using Common Lisp was Jak and Daxter. read this article I found about it if you like http://www.franz.com/success/customer_apps/animation_graphics/naughtydog.lhtml

If you want another reason why to learn Lisp here is one for you. Developers that are familair with old languages such as Lisp, Pascal, Cobal etc ...are scarce. Most developers that are familair with these languages are most likely to be seniors around their 60's. So there are probably employers out there that are willing to pay a nice salary  for this expertise.

Other then that It's fun to see how things started and having an understanding of the evolution of programming languages. I think i'll start on Cobal one day just for the fun of it

strangely enough this ancient language is probably still used

Yahoo!'s shopping cart program is made in LISP.  I have read some articles on LISP and they all say the same thing.  "Although you may not use LISP, it will help you become a better programmer."  I understand learning almost any language will help you become a better programmer but I don't have time to learn them all so I want to pick out ones that will help me improve the most. 

Anyway, it's too late.  I all ready signed up for the class, non-imperative languages, so I will be learning LISP and ML whether I like it or not...

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the consensus?  Is LISP worth learning?  Or is it basically a waste of time?

I personally think it is well worth learning. I've done the basic curve for learning LISP myself, and it definitely helps with breaking down the larger problems into manageable chunks. The implementation of LISP is a bit confusing at first, but I have been rather impressed with its speed and ease of learning.

I also like the way they encourage you to learn proper use of the lambda notation:

(every #'(lambda (n) (not (oddp n))) '(2 4 6 8 10))

Very cool stuff ;)

The more the semester goes on I'm enjoying LISP more and more.  I've always been the iterative guy, never wanted to learn recursion because I didn't have to and didn't really want to.  Recursion kind of grew on me.  It is also safer and involves less thinking if you know what you're doing.  Thanks for your replies.  :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.