output first log-in and log- out of the day

massive

Hi,there I have an attendance report and employees logs in and logs out for that specific date and time. I want to get the employees first log-in of the day and the last log-out of the day from its timestamp but in a day..employees logs-in and logs-out quite often I tried to use DISTINCT but the timestamp is still unique so my reports generates like this lets say:

Employee1 08:02:11
Employee1 08:03:32
Employee1 08:10:23
Employee1 08:12:11
Employee1 08:20:11
Employee1 08:20:16
Employee2 08:02:11
Employee2 08:03:32
Employee2 08:10:23
Employee3 08:12:11
Employee3 08:20:11
Employee1 08:20:16

i only need this:

Employee1 08:02:11 in
Employee1 08:20:16 out
and so on...

heres the my code its a join query
[code]
$query  = "SELECT DISTINCT concat( users.lastname, ', ', users.firstname ) AS name, time_log.log,                time_log.ts
FROM users, time_log
WHERE time_log.user = users.userID
AND time_log.ts LIKE '2006-05-25 08:%'
ORDER BY ts ASC";
[/code]

thanks in advance

It may be possible with one query, but I'm no expert when it comes to MySQL queries, so I'd probably just run the following two queries:
First time:[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] [color=green]DISTINCT[/color] concat( users.lastname, [color=red]', '[/color], users.firstname ) [color=green]AS[/color] name, time_log.log, time_log.ts
[color=green]FROM[/color] [color=orange]users,[/color] time_log
[color=green]WHERE[/color] time_log.user [color=orange]=[/color] users.userID [color=blue]AND[/color] time_log.ts [color=orange]LIKE[/color] [color=red]'2006[span style=\'color:orange\']-[/color]05[color=orange]-[/color]25 08:%'[/span]
[color=green]ORDER BY[/color] ts [color=green]ASC[/color] LIMIT 1 [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]
Last time:[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] [color=green]DISTINCT[/color] concat( users.lastname, [color=red]', '[/color], users.firstname ) [color=green]AS[/color] name, time_log.log, time_log.ts
[color=green]FROM[/color] [color=orange]users,[/color] time_log
[color=green]WHERE[/color] time_log.user [color=orange]=[/color] users.userID [color=blue]AND[/color] time_log.ts [color=orange]LIKE[/color] [color=red]'2006[span style=\'color:orange\']-[/color]05[color=orange]-[/color]25 08:%'[/span]
[color=green]ORDER BY[/color] ts [color=green]DESC[/color] LIMIT 1 [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]
Someone with a lot more MySQL knowledge might come along soon and show you an easier way though!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.