Pulling Data

rh91uk

Hiya

I need a bit of advice ... or maybe if some code if your feeling nice :)

I am writing a content management system, and in it, I have built a News System. But, the problem is, on the homepage I am adding a "Recent 3 News Posts", which will hopefully if I can get the concept together, pull the last 3 Added news stories.

I havent a clue how to do it though :). Can someone maybe point me in the right direction, or even if your feeling nice, write me a bit of code.

I would be greatful! :)

Thanks for help in advance,

Richard

Sorry , should of been more clear.

We are using MYSQL.

Script wise - thats what I want to find out. I can pull the data from the database, but not thhe 3 most recent "ids". I dont know how to write the code to do it, as I am self taught, and hence never coming across this kind of situation...

The script is simple text boxes submitting to a Database (mysql).

You can use this query which should select most recent 3 news posts:
[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] * [color=green]FROM[/color] [color=orange]news_table[/color] [color=green]ORDER BY[/color] news_id [color=green]DESC[/color] LIMIT 3 [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]
Obviously you'll need to change [b]news_table[/b] to the table that stores your news entries and [b]news_id[/b] to the news_id column name.

[!--quoteo(post=386035:date=Jun 20 2006, 09:51 AM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Jun 20 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]386035[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] * [color=green]FROM[/color] [color=orange]news_table[/color] [color=green]ORDER BY[/color] news_id [color=green]DESC[/color] LIMIT 3 [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]
Obviously you'll need to change [b]news_table[/b] to the table that stores your news entries and [b]news_id[/b] to the news_id column name.
[/quote]

Thank you wildteen88 :)

[!--quoteo(post=386035:date=Jun 20 2006, 09:51 AM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Jun 20 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]386035[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

Got another question

a) How do I convert the above statement in PHP, would:

[code]<?php
$query = "SELECT * FROM news_table ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 3";
mysql_query($query, $mysql_link);
?>
[/code]

work?

b) How would I convert that query to display the Three Recent Titles, then linking it to the news story

c) How could I implement that in PHP

Sorry for my n00bness

Ric

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]a) How do I convert the above statement in PHP, would:

[code]CODE
<?php
$query = "SELECT * FROM news_table ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 3";
mysql_query($query, $mysql_link);
?>[/code]

work?[/quote]
Yes that'll work fine!

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]b) How would I convert that query to display the Three Recent Titles, then linking it to the news story?[/quote]
A bit like this

[code]<?php

//connect to do db here

$query = "SELECT news_id, news_title FROM news_table ORDER BY news_id DESC LIMIT 3";
$result = mysql_query($query, $mysql_link);

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
    echo "<a href=\"news.php?id={$row['news_id']}\">{$row['news_title']}</a><br />";
}

?>[/code]
Again in this code, change any instance of news_id, news_table and news_title to your field/table names.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/richard/public_html/noba/index.php on line 167

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/richard/public_html/noba/index.php on line 169

Any ideas? All DB connects are in the headers.....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.