MySQL Pro Certified Server versus MySQL Community Edition

hadoob024

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to see if the service provided with the "MySQL Network with MySQL Pro Certified Server" version is worth the costs involved.

I'm making a real estate website that's basically going to be a listing service. You can do searches on the listings for free, and it costs to add your listing. Our listings are only going to be active for 30 days, and we really don't expect to have more than maybe a thousand or so listings at a time tops. I'm just wondering if this is something that should be manageable for me, even though I really don't have any prior DBA experience. I've played around with phpMyAdmin for a bit, so I know how to backup/replace/repair/etc., and am just wondering if this is enough. Any thoughts?

Unless you're going to use the support, there's no point -- a simple MySQL license will suffice. I've never had the need to have someone else act as the DBA for me, or help me optimize my server setup / DB queries, but that's just me. Besides, you don't learn anything that way, and I can think of much better things to do with the extra cash.

Good call. I was leaning in that direction too. Their service is kind of expensive too. It starts at like $600 per server per year. That is kind of steep, and I guess it's really not worth it since I know how to maintain the db. Besides, I'll be making backups constantly, so worse case scenario, all I have to do copy over a backup. Thanks for the advice!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.