Photo

php-based click tracking - lots of overhead?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lordvader

lordvader
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi all,

I'm exploring non-javascript click tracking options for my php site. I think the only thing I can do with php is the redirect style, correct? I would prefer my links to stay pristine though. I don't suppose anyone has a way to track clicks without adding anything to the hyperlink?

Anyways, I think I'm relegated to the redirect style, which makes me wonder how much cpu and hd i/o overhead there's going to be.

For instance, with a thousand daily visitors, who each click 5 links... will that kill my webhost?
What about a million daily visitors, who each click 5 links? (Hopefully one day!)

My webhost claims that my sites are on a dual xeon, but of course it's shared with other sites.

Thanks

#2 mb81

mb81
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

[!--quoteo(post=386112:date=Jun 20 2006, 02:32 PM:name=Lord Vader)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lord Vader @ Jun 20 2006, 02:32 PM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hi all,

I'm exploring non-javascript click tracking options for my php site. I think the only thing I can do with php is the redirect style, correct? I would prefer my links to stay pristine though. I don't suppose anyone has a way to track clicks without adding anything to the hyperlink?

Anyways, I think I'm relegated to the redirect style, which makes me wonder how much cpu and hd i/o overhead there's going to be.

For instance, with a thousand daily visitors, who each click 5 links... will that kill my webhost?
What about a million daily visitors, who each click 5 links? (Hopefully one day!)

My webhost claims that my sites are on a dual xeon, but of course it's shared with other sites.
Thanks
[/quote]

Are you looking to get a view of how they went through the site or just what pages are visited the most?

A simple solution would be to put a MYSQL insert or update in your header that inserts or adds to a MYSQL table to count the hits or count the tracking or whatever. It all depends on what you are trying to capture.

#3 lordvader

lordvader
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

Oh no, I don't want to track their session, I just want to count the number of clicks on external links. This would be useful for setting prices on text ads, for instance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users