mysql_query("INSERT x") via php form issues...

ebh

First off, let me state that as of two days ago I had never touched SQL -or- PHP and at this point all I\'ve managed to do is create my database, populate it with a small amount of data so I can work on it, and I\'ve learned how to query it via a little php page. Most of my work has been with phpMyAdmin although I did create my initial table via command line.

That said, what I\'m working on now is trying to create a form I can hit from the web to insert data into my db.

Currently I’ve got my insert.html form, and my insert.php files separated – I believe I can make it a single file if I’m not mistaken, but for now it seems easier for me to keep them split.

As it stands right now, when I try to submit my form the javascript kicks me back and tells me I haven’t entered all the required values – It’s supposed to do this if the user leaves out a field, but since I’m completing my form then I assume it’s dying because the values aren’t being passed as variables to the php script.

The purpose of this small db/form is simply to track a list of employees, a date, and if they submitted their report (or why they didn\'t) on that date.

-- paste of insert.html --

<html>

<head>

<title>insert form</title>

</head>

<body>

<form method="POST" action="./insert.php" name="form">

Advisor\'s Name<BR><input name="adv_name" type="text" id="adv_name" size="50"><BR>

Record Date<BR><input name="rec_date" type="text" id="rec_date" size="10"><BR>

Record Status<select name="rec_status" id="rec_status">

<option selected>Yes</option>

<option value="No">No</option>

<option value="Off Work">Off Work</option>

<option value="Out Sick">Out Sick</option>

<option value="Exempt">Exempt</option>

</select>

<BR>

<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">

</form>

</body>

</html>

-- paste of insert.php --

[php:1:d09189e900]<?php

// Check if the variables exist (if the form fields have been filled in)

if (!$adv_name && !$rec_date && !$rec_status) {

echo \"You failed to complete all required fields.\";

echo \"Click <A HREF=\"javascript:history.go(-1);\">« here</A> to try again\";

}

else

{

// Connect to the sql database

$link = mysql_connect(\"localhost\", \"viewer\");

$db = mysql_select_db(\"aiu\", $link);

// The \'insert\' that will insert the data as a new row into your table

$query = \"INSERT INTO adls_records (adv_name, rec_date, rec_status) VALUES (\'$_POST[adv_name]\', \'$_POST[rec_date]\', \'$_POST[rec_status]\')\";

$result = mysql_query($query, $link);

// Echo this message to allow the user to access a new form

echo \"Click <A HREF=\"./insert.html\">here</A> to add another record.\";

}

?>[/php:1:d09189e900]

In the PHP script above, & is correctly entered as &

I finally got to the point where I\'ll admit I\'m stuck and ask for help, and this seems to be the place for it. Anyone have some advice?

I think you need to provide more information. But if you look at your code you are specifying that insert.php is in the directory above, I think you need to change:

<form method="POST" action="./insert.php" name="form">

to

<form method="POST" action="insert.php" name="form"> 

Quick google search returned this tutorial: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/...?tw=programming

What additional information should I provide?

Your suggestion was a good one, however I would point out that ./ references the current directory. To reference one directory higher it would be ../

Just by trying to submit data to my insert.html form, the javascript to report errors in insert.php gets triggered, so I know at the very least insert.php is being parsed.

Reading the tutorial you linked now...

Do you have register_globals on or off? If they\'re off, then you need to use the $_POST superglobal.

[php:1:dd7aa15af7]<?php

if (!$adv_name &amp;&amp; !$rec_date &amp;&amp; !$rec_status) {

?>[/php:1:dd7aa15af7]

Would need to be changed to this:

[php:1:dd7aa15af7]<?php

if (empty( $_POST[\'adv_name\'] ) || empty( $_POST[\'rec_date\'] ) || empty( $_POST[\'rec_status\'] )) {

?>[/php:1:dd7aa15af7]

register_globals is on. I commented out my if statement and the insertion code worked fine. After changing it per XSpikeX\'s suggestion (and trying his code with $_POST as well) the if statement still kicked me in the junk, so I just removed it.

If I\'m designing an app and I\'m also the only user, I should be smart enough to fill in all the fields without having to babysit myself, right? :?

Maybe I\'ll revisit checking field completion once I work out deleting bad entries and customizing the queries to show only what I want, when I want it.

Fun stuff, this SQL and PHP... fun stuff. My fiancée is alreaddy hating how late I get to bed now... Ah well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.