Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arianhojat

When to maek a new connection() to database

whenever i perform a query, i got into the habit of supplying the database and table by calling mysql_connect() everytime, just in case the table changes which it might or to be explicit when checking my code.

is this a performance hit, should it not be done unless table definately changes?

Example:

[code]$host = "localhost"; $user = "user"; $pass = "pass";  $db = "clientsInfo";        
$query = "SELECT * FROM clientsInfo.clients";
$connection = mysql_connect($host, $user, $pass) or die ("Unable to connect!");
mysql_select_db($db) or die ("Unable to select database!");
$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in query: $query. ".mysql_error());         

//...later

$host = "localhost"; $user = "user"; $pass = "pass";  $db = "clientsInfo";        
$query = "SELECT * FROM clientsInfo.clientAddresses";
$connection = mysql_connect($host, $user, $pass) or die ("Unable to connect!");
mysql_select_db($db) or die ("Unable to select database!");
$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Error in query: $query. ".mysql_error());     [/code]

You call mysql_connect ONCE, unless you want to make different [b]connections[/b].

You call mysql_select_db ONCE, unless you want to use different [b]databases[/b].

If you are using the same connection, and the same database, it is definitely a waste of resources.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.