[SOLVED] DP and MP

jaymc

I need to buy a couple of CPU's for a server

The server documentation states Xeon MP (multi processor) processors

I have found some really cheap Xeon DP (Dual processor) processors, I'm just wondering if they will work

Whats the difference? They are the same socket right..

Does any one know if this could cause an issue

Yeh I have googled but I couldn't get a specific rock solid answer

Hence I have come onto PHP phreaks for a rock solid answer from someone who has expert knowledge on this

You could potentually reffer 80% of questions on here to google hence what is the point of a forum if the administrators do that?

The idea is to source information on here so other members can find the answer to this from within PHPFREAKS, otherwise, why use this forum at all if they can get everything from google

Yes, because here at phpfreaks, we specialize in computer hardware compatibility, so it makes complete sense for us to make ourselves a source for that sort of thing.

Whatever man the more content for phpfreaks the better.

You keep reffereing people to google and the may realise they dont need to come on here as there are always other websites in the long list of google that will give them answers

You keep reffereing people to google and the may realise they dont need to come on here as there are always other websites in the long list of google that will give them answers

Dan responded to this on specific note.  To respond on a general note: If someone looks in the manual and then googles looking for similar problems and still can't figure it out, by all means, post.  But we aren't here to spoon feed people or do their work for them.  We don't get paid for this.  I don't even know why I should have to tell you this, seeing as how you have almost 1300 posts here. 

Yes, because here at phpfreaks, we specialize in computer hardware compatibility, so it makes complete sense for us to make ourselves a source for that sort of thing.

Wait, you mean people actually try to figure out the answer to their alone?  What would phpfreaks ever do!

Edit:  Ahhh CV beat me to it.

@Zanus:  Windows paint! That's right, I'm old school  8)

@Dan: Hey I just bought my computer not too long ago, it was the standard trial that came with it.  It actually just expired earlier that morning, lol.   I might go ahead and renew it though.  Apparently my firewall/antivirus options are pretty limited for vista 64 bit at this time.... I found this AVG anti-virus thing and something called Vista FireWall Control which seems to be some kind of addon for Vista's firewall.  I'm certainly open for suggestions. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.