PHP Navigation For CMS

scraptoft

I am trying to create a navigation bar which will echo all of the categories in the database.

I want the navigation bar to show like below:

Category1
-subcategory
-subcategory
-subcategory
Category2
-subcategory
-subcategory
Category3
-subcategory
-subcategory
-subcategory
-subcategory

Heres my code to query Category:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]$query_category = "SELECT name FROM webstructure where level = '2'";
$result_level = mysql_query($query_category)
or die("Invalid query: " . mysql_error());
while ($row=mysql_fetch_array($result_lcategory2)) {
$name = $row['name'];[/quote]

This echos like:
Category1
Category2
Category3

I cannot figure out how to echo the correct [b]Subcategory[/b] underneath it's speficific [b]Category[/b]. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this, or what functions to use?

Thankyou for your time

My category table is like so.

Name [name of category or subcategory]
parent_category [if its a subcategory the parent name is here]
level ['1','2','3'] [different levels to show on each page]

After writing this out, i'm starting to think I need to make changes to my table. Or can I get away with it this way?

Cheers for your fast reply.

You could get away with it but there are better ways to represent hierarchical data. Maybe [a href=\"http://www.phpriot.com/d/articles/php/application-design/nested-trees-1/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"]this[/a] tutorial will help.

I'm still trying to learn PHP but could do with this project finished (it doesn't have to be perfect) so I can get onto studying the language more. Could you give me a few pointers on how I could get away with it.

p.s thanks for the tutorial I will deffinatly read it more indepth in the morning.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.