www.scrfix.com - let em rip

spectacularstuff

Okay,  I have completed the website and have reviewed in multiple browsers.  I have not been able to view in linux compatible browsers like konquerer but have bene able to view in safari for windows.

Computer Repair Sarasota, Bradenton, Venice

Everything is completed with the exception of I am still having a printing issue on some websites.  That is not a huge deal however.  I will figure it out later.

I could not find a lot of forums out there for computer repair.  There is a forum for computer repair as well on the website offering free computer repair advice.

Let me know what everyone thinks, if there are any suggestions to improve or if we should include anything else.

Items currently on the website:

Computer repair forum

Live Support offered with a support package

A CRM package for our account coordinators and

Google Adsense integrated throughout the website in hopes of helping to support the bandwidth usage.

Appointment Calendar so our clientele can see what appointments are currently available.

Store Locator so people can find our store

IT News Support via RSS Feeds on home page

Recorded demonstration of our unique computer evaluation process

Computer Related Website Link Exchange

Full Spider Integrated Website Search

CSS Menu Design

Items possibly going to be put on the website:

GPS Cell phone tracker so you can look up any cell phone that has a GPS tracker in it.

News or tutorial articles

HTML to PDF conversions for articles that will be written

Weather Radar

The Game Sudoku

XML SiteMaps

Support Ticket System

Shopping Cart System (This is already up however hidden because we are working with our distributor currently to implement shipping, tracking, all of their products at a lower cost then you can them anywhere else on the Internet.  Great quality at a low cost.)

Multiple Stat Programs with this visible to clientele (This will wait until we have enough traffic however)

Let me know what you think and sign up for the forum.

Thanks for your help in helping with the PHP functionality.  Hopefully I can help repay that by helping you with your computer functionality.

skunkbad: Adjust the padding to what on the main text? On the main page?  All pages throughout with the exception of the forum use the same CSS.

What specific pages?  Copy and Paste URL's please.

What browser were you using?

What operating system?

What resolution?

rarebit:

Bottom Menu overlaps the right-hand column.

? no logo ?

! it didn't excite...

I am not sure what you mean.  Can you give me more details?

What specific pages?  (Especially the bottom menu overlapping because I don't see that at all) Copy and Paste URL's please.

What operating system?

What resolution?

Which page did not have a logo.  They all use a common header and have a logo at the top?  Can you give me a URL and specific details please.

It didn't excite.  I am not sure what you mean?  Meaning that it is not flashy, up to todays standards?  What specific pages?  This is for our clientele and is supposed to be more user-friendly than exciting.

Overview

All in all if that is ALL that is wrong, I feel pretty damn good about myself... :D

Thanks,

Wayne

dropfaith

I will download firefox to this computer and look and repair that.

Ahhh yes, the calendar.  I am aware of that.  This is web calendar from sourceforge.net.  I didn't program the calendar however the reason that is to answer your question:

The default setting to the calendar is monthly view.  I want to show the weekly view.  It has to redirect you to a weekly view and it shows you that it is redirecting.  The only thing that I can do about that is hack the code or the database and remove the sentence (ore replace it) so it is not so confusing.

Thanks,

Wayne

firefox 3 windows vista i think my res is 1440 by something

I see this too in FF3/winXP and also Safari.

Looks OK in IE7 (right and left panels are equal height)

In Opera, the right panel does not come down to the bottom of the left content panel

One thing I would get rid of is your title tags (or better yet hide them with JS) in your (nice) drop down menus.  Its annoying to hover over a link and have the title pop up covering the link below it.

CroNix:

I am downloading Safari, FF and Opera to this computer now.

Title Tags

I have those there for visually impaired people so that their equipment will work properly for navigation.  How do I hide them with JavaScript?

Will that equipment still function properly if I am hiding them with JavaScript?

Thanks,

Wayne

Yes, I understand why they are there, and it's good practice.  Im just saying most people aren't visually impaired so it will annoy most people.  I know you can easily hide (remove) them using a JS framework like mootools, but as far as straight JS I wouldn't know how to do it, especially cross-browser.

As far as that redirect goes. Why don't you do an .htaccess rewrite.

Something like this:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^index\.php$ week.php

Just create an .htaccess file in the events folder and then add them two lines above. I'm still new to rewrites but I believe that would work.

env-justin:

I very much appreciate the rewriterule however that would only work if I was on a Linux Server.  I am on a Windows Server.  Rewrites will not function because it does not recognize the .htaccess file.

Overlap Issue

I have resolved this issue.  I don't mind that the two bottom parts do not line up exactly.  With different resolutions and with a fluid layout that would be next to impossible.  I have the top lined up which is all I care about.

Title Tags

I will look into hiding those with JavaScript however if they stop the functionality of them I cannot hide them.  We have visually impaired people that contact us quite often.

env-justin:

I very much appreciate the rewriterule however that would only work if I was on a Linux Server.  I am on a Windows Server.  Rewrites will not function because it does not recognize the .htaccess file.

Title Tags

I will look into hiding those with JavaScript however if they stop the functionality of them I cannot hide them.  We have visually impaired people that contact us quite often.

?? .htaccess works on my windows box...

Don't worry about removing the title tags, they should be there.  But Im just saying it makes it really annoying for those with working eyes :)

You know what I find really nice.  The only thing that could be found was an overlap.  I actually rectified that overlap about a month ago but a couple of weeks ago, I was working at about 4:30am and screwed the whole website up because I was tired.  I had to go back to an old copy and that came back.  So I am glad it was just that.

I am feeling good about myself that is all that could be found. :D

Thank you everyone for taking a look at the website and writing back.  If anyone is interested in computer repair advice by all means stop into our forum at any time.

Thanks again.

CroNiX:

.htaccess works on your windows box?  Huh?  Sorry I mispoke... I am running Windows with IIS.  Are you running Apache?

Try searching for wampserver 2 or WAMP. You can run WAMP or wampserver 2 on a box that has IIS, but only one can run at a time. It's easy to turn them off/on though.

CroNiX:

.htaccess works on your windows box?  Huh?  Sorry I mispoke... I am running Windows with IIS.  Are you running Apache?

Try searching for wampserver 2 or WAMP. You can run WAMP or wampserver 2 on a box that has IIS, but only one can run at a time. It's easy to turn them off/on though.

actually you can run them at the same time on different ports.

skunkbad: Adjust the padding to what on the main text? On the main page?  All pages throughout with the exception of the forum use the same CSS.

What specific pages?  Copy and Paste URL's please.

What operating system?

What resolution?

I was only looking at the home page.

I use all browsers, right now I'm on FF3.0.3 on a Mac.

Res on this comp is like 1380x900 or something weird, but that's not the problem, trust me.

I hadn't looked at your code before giving you the advice to add some padding. The layout is actually coded pretty poorly in my opinion. Seriously though, all this is is a standard 2 column layout with a header, horizontal menu, and a footer. If you floated the 2 columns, and positioned the header and menu absolutely, your content would be right up at the top of the code, and your chances of getting a good search ranking would be a lot better.

OK, this is just my opinion, but I think you need a vertical menu, and stick with non-javascript.

CroNiX:

actually you can run them at the same time on different ports.

Really?! That's cool. I have Win XP Pro though, this isn't a regular server (if it matters). Do you have a tutorial link?

skunkbad:

What specific portion of it is coded badly; all of it?  I have not looked at it to be W3C compliant yet.  I was planning on doing that later.

Can you get better search engine ranking than #1 or #2?

Search Google for "Computer Repair Sarasota" which is the main keyword phrase at this time we are going for.

OK, this is just my opinion, but I think you need a vertical menu, and stick with non-javascript.

What you mean a vertical menu?  Do you mean instead of the drop down menu?

If that's what you mean, that wouldn't happen.  I have massive feedback on the drop down menus we have from different clientele.  They all love it and tell us how easy it is to navigate.  And it is done in CSS search engine friendly fashion.

I don't understand what "a stick with non-javascript" means?

Can you please explain what this means?

Do you still think we need more padding?

I am not a big fan of padding on a lot of items because of cross browser compatibility; opera reads it differently than IE7 which reads it differently than FF.  With that said, which one needs more padding and why?

DropFaith:

Awesome Point.  I forgot all about the noscript tags.  The main header links utilize a combination of php gd and javascript to resize the images in order to resize the images and text based upon whether you look at the website in an 800x600 viewing.  This way it doesn't appear to go onto two lines.  The original design for this was because gd was supposed to make the images look good and not so choppy.  That wasn't the case.  GD still makes the images look choppy :(.

The RSS Feeds are strictly javascript.  I am working on a RSS to HTML conversion script.  That will remove the JavaScripting from the RSS feeds which should take care of that issue.  However for the header I will need to add teh <noscript></noscript> tags without a doubt.

Thanks for the invaluable feedback.

CroNiX:

I just learned something.  I was unaware that there was actually a way to run .htaccess without Apache.  However with that solution, it would require having a dedicated server and not being on a shared environment.  In a shared environment, such as the one we are in, we have no control over installing anything onto the server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.