[SOLVED] Backup

jaymc

I have 2 servers

Server 1 = Database and application code (php) (100GB)

Server 2 = File server for static files such as images and large files (2TB)

I have no issue backing up Server 1 as its only around 10GB of data so I just gzip and xfer to Server 2

However, Server 2 is using 600GB of data so I cant xfer a backup to Server 1

I dont really want to add a Server 3 into the mix as these are all colocated hence $$$.

My question is, do you think I can get away with adding another drive to Server 2 used soley for backup? I want to protect myself from data loss e.g. hard drive blow out.

The problem with that though is if anything physically happens to Server 2 it could kill 2 drives

Am I being over careful? The data isnt FBI or anything but data loss would not be good, trust me

If So...

Would anyone reccomend using the likes of rsync to backup so it only copies new/updated files as the IO to gzip or do a flat copy of 600TB would not be nice either

I want to protect myself from data loss e.g. hard drive blow out.

Would anyone reccomend using the likes of rsync to backup so it only copies new/updated files as the IO to gzip or do a flat copy of 600TB

would not be nice either

1. If you want to protect against hardware failure, then you need to have raid. I.e. raid1 or raid5. I personally use raid1 and then lvm.

2. Yes - I would use rsync for only copying the modified files.

While raid1 (etc) protects against hardware failure, if you want to protect against someone deleting the files then you will have to look to something else.

You could look into using LVM snapshots (google away).

2TB aint that much TBH. You can get a 1TB external usb drive for €100.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.