superglobals error

remzone

HI all, I am trying to learn PHP and MYSql been doing it a grand total of 4 Days and enjoying it tbh. I have been playing with superglobals to get used to them but have come across a problem with them which you guys will prob think it's peice of cake but I got to start somewhere eh [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /] .

<?php echo "Hi! Your IP is: $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']"; ?>

Produces : Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING.

I tried something outta my own head but dunno if I did right but still it didn't wortk anywayz.

<?php
$sip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
echo $sip;
?>

With this I get a variable not assigned error but as far as I was awear superglobals are predfined so didn't think I had to assign a value to $_SERVER, unless there is a problem with assigning $sip the value of a superglobal?

I've tried to find my php.ini to see if globals are switched off but a, they have it hidden i guess and b, I thought that superglobals would still work with that switched off?

any help would be appreciated [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

idk what the problem is, but it's not with your code. at least, the 2nd one. i understand the parse error in the first, but the 2nd one is okay. yes, it should work even if globals are off. this is more of a wild stab in the dark than anything, but try doing

<?php
var $sip;
$sip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
echo $sip;
?>

i know it shouldn't be necessary, but perhaps there is some setting in .ini that's turned off or something. wish i could help more...

Run this code:
[code]<?phg
phpinfo ();
?>[/code]
Look for a line called [b]Configuration File (php.ini) Path[/b] this will show you the location of the php.ini file. NOTE: if you're on a shared hosting account it is likely you will not be able to access the php.ini to edit it.

Secoundly scroll down a bit further and find [b]register_globals[/b] both columns should state Off, if the right column is set to on then you have register_globals on and thus you cannot use superglobals. Instead you'll have to do this:
[code]echo 'your ip is: ' . $REMOTE_ADDR;[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.