...work in progress.. looking for tips...

tbare

http://www.wannafork.com

i'm in the process of getting it all converted over to MySQL, but in the mean time, i'm looking for ideas, tips, tricks, etc..

a few things i'm already working on:

ratings: working on JavaScript for the submit so it won't refresh the entire page when you rate a file...

comments: working on JavaScript to clear the form when you click submit (which posts to a different page as to not refresh the page again, and also because of the e-mail verification...

and other minor tweaks here an there... other than that, i'm all ears, so... please... fire away!

(and don't get SO into the site that you forget to post back here... there'll be plenty of time for that later!) ;)

You should start by having a blob of text on the main page explaining the site.  I have absolutely no idea what it is for. The design is nothing special and lacks some color. is the same comic strip supposed to be on all pages?  Would be nice to see it randomized or change in some way.  The site just lacks some style and any clear meaning of what it is all about.

the image at the top is on a rotator script and does rotate between about 15 images (or so), except the main page which is static... i have noticed that the dilbert strip shows up more often than it ought, but haven't played w/ it a whole lot to figure out why...

I was going for a simple, clean design, and thought i had achieved that... (maybe not??)

as for the blurb on the main page, i'll take that to heart and see what i can come up with...

Thanks for the input... and any more is welcome!

just as an update, i've got sessions working now, so if you leave comments, or email a link, you only need to confirm your email address once per sessioin (or per 3 hours, whichever ends first...)

still working on the javascript for the ratings thing... we'll see...

still looking for more feedback, too... any other thoughts?

I also don't like the header images. The small map on the bottom showing visitor locations is irrelevant and makes me wonder: "Why would the designer put this here? It reminds me of those old clumsy page counters of years past".

I thought about putting W3C's validation icons on my pages too, but the graphics are just too #$%^ big and ugly. They remind me of Shrek (the animated character) too offensively disgusting to like : ) I've never seen any mainstream site display them.

Your layout is defiantly functional and clean but feels too "boxy" with all the sharp edges. This is something I need to work on too. You need more color, but less strong colors, light colors that are easy on the eyes. Like PHPfreaks light colors! Your wannafork.com graphics are ugly too, did you make them on MS Paint? I have no graphics on my site mainly because I'm afraid of the outcome! lol

the header images are (at some point) going to be replaced with computer components, etc, but just haven't had time to take the pics yet... the images that are there, were all taken where i and the other guy that started the site work(ed)... it was kind of fun (at the time) when quite literally no body was going to the site, but now, agreed, they need to be replaced..

the map on the bottom was something i saw on another site and thought might be neat.... the more i see it, the more i'm agreeing that it shouldn't be there... the w3 icons, however, i do like... i didn't like the colors they had to choose from, so i changed them to match the site...

you mention that the wannafork.com graphics are ugly, too.... are you talking about the logo on the main page? that's one of those deals that i'm not in love with, either, but decided not too long back that i needed a static image on the main page w/ the name, and something clever on it... that was my 15 minutes of thought and design thrown together... agreed, it needs more work!

I'm thinking about a new color scheme, but have been so busy trying to get everything over to MySQL (and working on microsoft certifications for work), that it's kind of hit the back burner... (maybe the next re-design? we'll see....)

all in all... thanks for the good feedback! keep it coming!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.