php 4 vs php 4.3

Gurzi

hY GUYS [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":unsure:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"unsure.gif\" /]

i started learn php yesterday and i bought a book called PHP 4 " a beginner's Guide" from Bill McCarty - Osborne..."

The shop where i bought the book for the money i have to spend only had php 4.3 from 2 authors from Portugal..(i'm Portuguese) and the book i bought..

my question is.. the php 4 and php 4.3 are too much different ?

i want your advice ..

thnks

Books that teach PHP4 often cover alot of the features of PHP 4.x.x, PHP4 is just a generalisation as "sub-versions" get released on a some-what regular basis.

Although, there were a handful of new functions that were implemented in PHP 4.2.x, there would be no fundimental differences in the syntax or functionality of the language.

thnks a lot.. i saw somethings on book but didnt work like... echo "$name

i search and i saw that i must use $_POST[name] ;

why all tutorials says that the name inside the array for example $_POST[name] use $_POST['name'] the [b]'[/b] but if i use i receive a error.. if i dont use.. its everything ok and running..

my other doubt.. which advantages i have passing variables into the url ?

Because prior to PHP 4.3.x a setting called register_globals was turned off by defualt, however the tutorials/books you are reading either old or haven't been updated yet. You can tell when a book has been updated as it'll have something like: [i] edition x[/i] some where on the cover. x being the number of times books have been rewritten.

But most tutorials was done before PHP 4.3.x was released, however still people tunr this setting register_globals on despite this setting can cause secuirity holes within a script.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.