On Python and the Google App Engine

obsidian

This may be old news to some, but I have recently (in the last month) been introduced to the world of the Google App Engine. I had looked into Python a little in the past, but with this amazing tool, I have given it a second glance, and I have to say that I'm rather impressed with the power it has - even for web applications.

I have always wanted to write a little tactics style game using AJAX and JavaScript animation for fun, and in a matter of just a couple days, I've been able to write Python classes to support the mapping and basic unit mechanisms and movement.

Has anyone else delved into the world of Python for web (with or without Google App Engine) and found any good resources? It seems like this might be a good language to add to my skill set, and it has proven extremely easy to learn thus far. I'm interested to hear any input or discoveries from others in the community as well.

Ive been a huge fan of Python for a while now (since I was a Gentoo user, most of there package management system is written in py) but to be honest, I don't use it as much as I would like. I just don't seem to have the need for it at present, hence I'm reading Python for sys admin (see sig). I can get away with Bash for most tasks these days.

So yeah, its one of those, Ive learnt the language prior to having a need for it kinda things.

As for web stuff. Besides playing around with Django for a little while I havent really used mod_python for anything. Ive always had PHP for web development so....

I'm slowly wanting to get further and further from web dev these days so Im hoping to be able to put Python to better use shortly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.