The first staff?

burnside

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History according to me.  Since I became mod (about 2 years ago):

From the admin list: Ober and Ron were the only admin when I got promoted (aside from phpfreak, of course).  JayBachatero (currently in PFR group) was an admin at one point in time, because we switched to smf board and he's somebody special in that community, and was helping us out with the details.  His usefulness expired so he got bumped down.  Tomfmason and Daniel0 (pretty sure that's the right order) were both made admin (they came from the PFR group) for reasons having to do with developing the new site (I think). Thorpe was made a mod at the same time as me, and recently became admin.

From the mod list: after me came fenway, redbullmarky and 448191 (pretty sure that's the right order).  Everybody else was there before me, so I can't say what order they came in. 

PFR group was pretty much my brainchild, and from which Dan, Tom, Redbull, and 448191 came from.  Guru group was Dan's and 448191's brainchild (I think). 

If I remember correctly, ober and ron weren't admins when I became a mod, those promotions happened while I had been a mod for a while... I'm quite sure a proportion of the very old threads aren't even on this iteration of the forums too.

roopurt18 was also PFR before mod if I remember correctly. He was between Mark and John (448191) on the mod list. Also, Thantos was the admin in relation to the SMF switch, not Jay. Thantos was removed and replaced with Jay later for some reasons. Both of them were/are SMF developers.

I was a mod during the IPB era, and promoted to admin in the IPB era (near the end).  I remember this because AJAXFreaks and such were on the old IPB system and PHPFreak and I had linked them up and gave me network wide admin access to the forums. Shortly before the change to SMF, or shortly after I can't remember, Ober was promoted to moderator.  From there we decided that we wanted to do some work so PHPFreak promoted Ober to admin on the forum side, and then gave Ober and I server access shortly after. 

Before I was a mod there were two other admins with PHPFreak, who worked at The Web Freaks  with PHPFreak. They were demoted to moderator around the time I was promoted to mod. From there we did a forum sweep, and they were demoted once more because it had been many months since they had visited the forums.

Before that is ancient history that no one but Eric will remember.  I think it involved two site design changes, I still have a snapshot of the VERY FIRST PHPFREAKS.COM DESIGN!  Then we went to PHPFreaks 2.0 and then PHPFreaks 3.0.  The original was in my member days,  we went to 2.0 right before I was promoted to mod, and 3.0 right around the time I was promoted to admin.  That is when Ober and I were promoted to become server admins as well as forum admins because 3.0 was just a new design with the old backend code from 1.0 ported forward and it was really buggy.

Is that enough history for you?  I don't think much more came before that.  That was right around the time the site started kicking off.  If you want more history, I can get nitty gritty.

Nitty Gritty

From how I remember it, Eric bought linuxforum.com. It was already an active site that he gained I believe through a purchase.  From there we saw PHPFreaks, ApacheFreaks, and MySQLFreaks.  From here you know the history all way up to the present.  I will add though that right after 3.0 (and right after I was promoted to admin but before ober was promoted to admin) PHPFreak added AJAXFreaks to the mix because he had really gotten into it and wanted to provide a place of support for it.

as for mods earlier to CV, you'll probably find most of us just logged in one day to discover we'd been made mods (after many months and posts here). i think it was before ron and ober were promoted, but i could be wrong on that.

the first iteration of the site had a lady with a feather boa as its favourites icon. that's about as much as i remember about it.

as for mods earlier to CV, you'll probably find most of us just logged in one day to discover we'd been made mods (after many months and posts here).  i think it was before ron and ober were promoted, but i could be wrong on that.

the first iteration of the site had a lady with a feather boa as its favourites icon.  that's about as much as i remember about it.

I think it was actually a bloke, dressed as a woman...

Ron has it right.  And I think about half of the current mods were mods when I got promoted.  I only got bumped up to admin because I wanted to help change the site around.  It was in desperate need of some attention when Ron and I got involved.

Oh yeah, also, I was actually mod for a few hours between admin and PFR. So my route was actually: regular member > pfr > mod > admin. Mod was for a so short time that it doesn't really matter though. I also had root access to this server before I was admin, so you could say I was an undercover admin if you wish.

as for mods earlier to CV, you'll probably find most of us just logged in one day to discover we'd been made mods (after many months and posts here).  i think it was before ron and ober were promoted, but i could be wrong on that.

the first iteration of the site had a lady with a feather boa as its favourites icon.  that's about as much as i remember about it.

Here it is (attached).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Okay so doing some more research (I'm very bored right now) ....

For a good chunk of 2005, seemed like neylitilo was pretty much the only person actively maintaining the place.  He had quite a few "come on guys, get off your lazy asses and help, I can't do this shit by myself" posts, lol (afaik he's never been an admin).

Ober was first promoted to mod in Oct of 2005, along with 3 others who are no longer part of the staff.  He was here before SMF, because I found a new IPB feature discussion thread in the staff forum where he chimed in.

At some point in time early 2006, Ron and Ober were both pretty much "in charge," but they were not actually admins.  Eric officially promoted both of them in May 2006, due to him not being available to be sole admin.  An incident that required someone to be banned sparked the decision.  

We switched from IPB to SMF at the end of June 2006 for many reasons, but the most prominent one was due to lack of mysql 5 compatibility.

-----------

Data mining and putting together a more coherent history of this place greatly interests me, but only being able to use the forum's search features severely limits me, so unless I were to get better access to the data (being able to use my own queries, or get a dump to put on my own server), I think I'm about calling it quits.  

Here it is (attached).

Whooooo i wanna report that picture it offended my eyes ;)

There are all sorts of stuff in the old images folder. Eric, Eric with his kid, Eric's father, Eric with Rasmus Lerdorf, scanned signature of Lerdorf to Eric. Then there is a pretty weird image called supertroopers2.jpg which is a man with, well... not much clothes on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.