Alpabetical List

MaartenM7

HI!

I got a problem...

I have a list of video items, they are automatically generated by a php script. All I have to do is put a video file into a directory and the video will apear on the website.

Now, this list of video's is unorderd... What means ít's a total mess. I want the script to put them in alfabetical order but I don't know how:(

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance,

Maarten Mandemaker, The Netherlands

Here's the piece of script:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<!-- the flvplayer -->
<div id="player">
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="flvplayer.swf?file=<?=$files[$file-1]?>"
width="<?=$width?>" height="<?=$height?>" wmode="transparent">
<param name="movie" value="flvplayernl.swf?file=<?=$files[$file-1]?>&autoStart=false" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
</object>
</div>

<!-- the navigation -->
<div id="nav">
<ul>
<? // php loop for printing all the links
for ($i=0; $i<=sizeof($files)-1; $i++) {
$p1 = strrpos($files[$i],"/") + 1;
$p2 = strpos($files[$i],".flv");
$name = substr($files[$i],$p1,($p2-$p1));
echo "<li><a href=\"flvplayer.php?file=".($i+1)."\">".$name."</a></li>\n";
} ?>

</ul>
</div>

</body>
</html>

If you can get the filenames, or video names, into an array you can just use sort()"
[a href=\"http://us3.php.net/sort\" target=\"_blank\"]http://us3.php.net/sort[/a]
That will return the array but in alphabetical order. Anyway, any solution to this problem will most likely want to use arrays, so just use sort.

Try this:

<?php
$sql = mysql_query(
"ALTER TABLE define ORDER BY word");

DEFINE should be replaced with your table name and WORD should be replaced by the column name you want alphabatized.

Hope that helps
(I use a script that allows the user to pick a letter of the alphabet and see only words starting with that letter, I can share if you would be interested)

[!--quoteo(post=386925:date=Jun 22 2006, 02:33 PM:name=Buyocat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Buyocat @ Jun 22 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]386925[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Anyway, any solution to this problem will most likely want to use arrays, so just use sort.[/quote]
Agreed. The [a href=\"http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.glob.php\" target=\"_blank\"]glob() function[/a] can read a directory selectively and generate an array. Plenty of examples in the manual page referenced.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.