Problems with Storing Data

gladiator83x

[!--coloro:#000099--][span style=\"color:#000099\"][!--/coloro--]
Hey All,

I have a Mysql table (called End_Review) and it has 3 columns: an incrementing number, topic_title, and date. On another page I have have a listbox with many topic names. When a topic is chosen, I go to another page where this topic name is passed as $title. Each time I choose a new topic name, I want it to be stored in a database. If it is already in the database, I just want an output message that says that it has already been stored. [!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

$res=mysql_query("select * from End_Review");
if(mysql_num_rows($res)==0) echo "there is no data in table..";
else {

if ($title !=$row[topic_title]){

mysql_query("INSERT INTO End_Review (id,topic_title, date) VALUES('','$title','$test_date' ) ")
or die(mysql_error());
}

else{

$end_query= "SELECT End_Review.date FROM End_Review WHERE End_Review.topic_title='$title'";
$end_result = mysql_query($end_query) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
$line = mysql_fetch_array($end_result, MYSQL_ASSOC);

foreach ($line as $col_value) {

echo "\t\t<td>$col_value3</td>\n"; }

exit("This topic has already been reviewed. Please observe the timestamp");
}}}

[!--coloro:#000099--][span style=\"color:#000099\"][!--/coloro--]All this code pretty much does is compare the specified title with the titles from the table and if it finds a match the associated data will be retrieved. However, my problem is whenever the specified data is not match, it keeps on populating my table with the same data. I know that it should be in the for loop, but I am confused as to where it could go? Any suggestions?[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

If I am understanding right?

Just use a MySQL statement to query the database to see if it exists before adding it. Something like the following example:

[code]
$sql_word_check = mysql_query("SELECT word FROM define WHERE word='$word'");

$word_check = mysql_num_rows($sql_word_check);

if(($word_check > 0)){
  echo "<center><b><font face='tahoma' color='red'>Please fix the following errors: </b><br />";
  if($word_check > 0){
    echo "The word you have submitted has already been defined in our database.
    Please submit a different word or phrase!<br />";

unset($word);
   }
[/code]

Of course use your own details I copies that from a dictionary I built a while back

Hope that helps

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.