Why does this work in Firefox and not IE???

guyfromfl

If you are actively changing code on a page, don't post links to it and expect someone to try and solve a moving target problem. At the time of my two posts, the statements and errors were correct.

Now you have nested forms. That might validate as valid XHTML, it is not valid HTML and won't work in browsers.

Now you have nested forms.

So there is no way around this?

Output valid HTML. Nested forms are not valid. Each form must start with its' own opening <form> tag and end with its' own closing </form> tag. If you want two forms, start and end the first one, then start and end the second one.

Yea sorry, im posting in 2 forums right now, forgot to tell you guys this:

we are trying to add a google search to our website, but the code is computer generated code and the opening form is directly after the opening body and closes the same way.

according to the boss you have to use a CMS to add code.

sorry Im working on this and doing 3 other jobs at the same time..

http://www.factorydirecttrains.com is the page.  so you can see the actual code (no google search tho)

your boss is horribly incorrect you dont have to use a cms to add code in fact ive never used a cms to add code i used those to update content

your code shows that your entire page is a single form. WHY?

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffactorydirecttrains.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0 has over 100 errors  what do you expect from a site coded with so many errors

but i think to fix your actual issue you need to just stop nesting forms

I think you misunderstood him (his English was a little unclear). I think that he doesn't need a CMS to be able to update the code, rather the system he is on is using a CMS, and if he wants to add code, it has to be done through that CMS>

let me try a different way of putting it...

The website is built off networksolution's template.  Their template opens a body then a form immediately after. Then, there are certain dynamic objects you can alter.

My form for google search has to go between the body and form tags. (we want it in the header on the right).

once the server has generated the automatic body tag and the automatic opening form, it is too late to add a form that is not nested. (which would end up in the dynamic objects part thus, invalid HTML).

my boss doesn't want to ask netsol to change their code and javascript doesn't work well with -1 when referring to adding a new form.. unless I am doing something wrong.

ps as far as i know the closing body and form tags perform the same way.

Thanks.

mark

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.