Absoloute beginner has problems modifying files in Ubuntu(d) LAMP

Desai

Theres a few things I do to make administering websites on Debian easier, rather then needing to sudo all the time.

The first is to create a new group www, join that group, then give that group permissions to write to the /var/www directory.

sudo addgroup www
sudo gpasswd -a yourusername www

You can also make yourself an administer of the www group, this will allow you to add and remove users from the group.

sudo gpasswd -A yourusername

From there all you really need do is set the permissions properly on the /var/www directory and its conents.

sudo chmod ugo-wrx /var/www
sudo chmod u+wrx,g+wrxs,o+rx /var/www
find /var/www -type f sudo chmod u+rw,g+rw,o+r {} \;
find /var/www -type d sudo chmod u+rwx,g+rwx,o+rx {} \;

You should now be able to freely write / read from within the /var/www directory and any files you create will belong to you and the www group.

Theres more you can do including creating a similar policy for the /etc/apache2/sites-* directories. Hopefully this small example will give you the idea.

Theres a few things I do to make administering websites on Debian easier, rather then needing to sudo all the time.

The first is to create a new group www, join that group, then give that group permissions to write to the /var/www directory.

sudo addgroup www
sudo gpasswd -a yourusername www

You can also make yourself an administer of the www group, this will allow you to add and remove users from the group.

sudo gpasswd -A yourusername

From there all you really need do is set the permissions properly on the /var/www directory and its conents.

sudo chmod ugo-wrx /var/www
sudo chmod u+wrx,g+wrxs,o+rx /var/www

You should now be able to freely write / read from within the /var/www directory and any files you create will belong to you and the www group.

Theres more you can do including creating a similar policy for the /etc/apache2/sites-* directories. Hopefully this small example will give you the idea.

Geesh, I always have silly problems like this when using Linux.

Gonna give it a try now, but I really don't like using the terminal all the time :)

Q: In "sudo gpasswd -a yourusername www", should "gpasswd" be replaced by my password?

D

What's the default-site directory's full path?

I think it's "/var/www/"

Maybe an easier solution to all this is to change the path to my site to a directory I already have full rights to? Or would that mean other problems later when trying to run a script?

Thanks for all your help :D

D

Q: In "sudo gpasswd -a yourusername www", should "gpasswd" be replaced by my password?

No, gpasswd is a command, used to add users to groups.

That line will add you to the www group.

Also, I just realised. These lines....

Should be....

find /var/www -type f -exec sudo chmod u+rw,g+rw,o+r {} \;
find /var/www -type d -exec sudo chmod u+rwx,g+rwx,o+rx {} \;
find /var/www -type f -exec sudo chown :www {} \;
find /var/www -type d -exec sudo chown :www {} \;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.