samsung LCD monitor appearing fuzzy

akitchin

hello all,

i've looked online at why my monitor might be fuzzy and have attempted all remedies to no avail.  therefore, i turn to you guys for ideas.

i have a 19" samsung syncmaster 931BW (maybe a year and a half old, max) which i currently have hooked up to a nvidia geforce 8800 GTS via one DVI cable.  i've done the following things, as per google's wisdom:

- made sure the monitor is run at its native resolution (1440x900)

- turned ClearType on in the windows antialiasing effects

yet i still face blurry pixels (faded line edges).  i found the same on my previous setup, which was some POS 128MB radeon via VGA.  i'm at my wits' end, mainly because i don't really want to have to replace the monitor.  has anyone else had the same issues?

Per Google/YouTube for your monitor - turn off RTA on the monitor settings.

Other possible issues:

Make sure you're using the native refresh rate too

May not apply in your case since you said you had the issue before, but the 8800 GTS can be a power hungry guy- make sure your power supply can handle it. 

found a thread regarding a monitor from the same family as mine:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=27107

creating the custom timing profile worked perfectly for the monitor.  i've never liked my monitor more :).  thanks xylex, and hopefully others find this helpful if they run into the same issue.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.