HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access

uraknai

Hi,

I have setup an IIS webserver and installed PHP using these instructions (http://www.peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html#phpInstall)

I followed the instructions exactly but the webserver wont load .php files giving the error message:

HTTP Error 401.3 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resource.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

(see http://www.lordswoodgirls.co.uk/test.php)

I typed php -v in the command prompt and got the message:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.LORDSWOODGIRLS>php -v

PHP 5.2.6 (cli) (built: May  2 2008 18:02:07)

Copyright © 1997-2008 The PHP Group

Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright © 1998-2008 Zend Technologies

Which, I assume, shows that PHP is successfully installed on the computer but for some reason the IIS webserver doesn't know what to do with php files.

Could someone please help with this problem. I'm at a complete loss.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Check the script and php.exe and php.ini file permissions.  php.exe and php.ini should have Read and Execute permissions, the file.php should have read permissions, although I dont think read and execute is that big of a deal.  Your box should have a User Group called IUSR_Machine where Machine is whatever that systems "name" is.  Like WWW or WWW-Backup it would look like IUSR_WWW as the name for that account.  That is the account that needs to have Read and Execute permissions to php.exe, php.ini and script.php.

Edit:  Oh likewise, since it sounds like this will cause you some trouble also, there are two more folders in the PHP folder that need special permissions.  FILE UPLOAD and SESSION.  Personally, for security, I do not like having PHP create these special folders inside the WINDOWS folder so have to set them in your php.ini, but whatever you call these folders, both will need WRITE access for IUSR_Machine.

c:\php\sessiontemp

c:\php\uploadtemp

That is how mine is set up so if you try doing sessions.  Sessions are handled by creating a literal file in these folders, although you can set it up to handle sessions in other ways, such as thru mysql.  I also just like having everything in one place with PHP and not getting mixed up in the windows directory as much as possible.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.