My portfolio

Adam

Just finished designing my online portfolio... I've not moved on to the JS or PHP yet but before I continue would just like a bit of feedback on the design side..

http://www.adamswork.net/

I've gone for a sort of simplistic, sylish look :S I'm terrible at design so want to feel comfortable with it before I continue...

I've made the code as SEO friendly and accessible as I could... Also on the index.php page, there's some HTML in the source that isn't displayed onscreen yet because it's a theme feature I'm planning to implement once I move on to the JS + PHP...

I would appreciate any and all feedback....

Cheers! Adam!

I agree, its too thin...not many people use 640x480 resolution anymore :)  In your 'a bit about me' section, the first 3 sentences contain the word 'interest'.  You might consider synonyms there.  In the very last sentence on the page, practices is misspelled.  Other than those simple things, I like the minimalistic approach you are taking and the colors are good and complement each other well.

Looks pretty good. Just one point - I'm not sure if the portfolio thumbnail links are meant to be working yet, but when they do/if they are working, it would be a good idea to provide some fallback in the event of JavaScript being disabled.

To be honest, I agree with what the others have said regarding width - maybe make it just a little bit smaller?

I completely understand how you feel, too - I'm not a great designer either, and find the design if harder to create than the actual code itself. :)

Good luck. The colours used are really good. :D

Right okay, cheers guys! I'll get to work on making it thicker. The idea came from several sites I've seen where they've used a thin design, and i liked 'em! :) But if the general opinion of people is "too thin" I guess that's what potential employers would think too...

Yeah cheers for heads up. Non-JS users will be something I take into consideration once I move onto the JS side of things.

Oh and cheers for grammer mistakes CroNiX! After re-reading it this morning what you said about 'interest' stood out a mile...

Shall show you an updated site soon!

Thanks again! Adam

I would design it for a width of 1024px. Even 800px width sites are not considered the minimum anymore.

I really do like the look and feel through.. very clean and quick. It even validated :)

One thing to guard against is when layout breaks when fonts are scaled up (the nav menu ends up poking below the initial which houses is).

Cheers,

NRG

Moving the code for the menu to the bottom of the code would bring your real content more towards the top (which is important).

But he has that background (the blue bar thing) that fits nicely with the current position of the menu.  I'd say keep it.

Moving the code for the menu to the bottom of the code would bring your real content more towards the top (which is important).

But he has that background (the blue bar thing) that fits nicely with the current position of the menu.  I'd say keep it.

I'm not talking about the position of the menu on screen, only in the code itself.

I think it looks really good but I'm going to have to agree it needs to be wider.  Just use a relative 80% width or so.  The navigation looks fine to me, fits perfect.  I'd say for a portfolio it's what you want, clean, simple, and easy to read.

I think it looks really good but I'm going to have to agree it needs to be wider.  Just use a relative 80% width or so.  The navigation looks fine to me, fits perfect.  I'd say for a portfolio it's what you want, clean, simple, and easy to read.

80% might be TOO wide for the style he's looking for.

Play around with the widths just a little bit.  It only needs to be a bit wider, not too much.

Cheers for all the replys. Taken into account what you've all said..

And no the links don't quite work yet. I'm setting up an impressive piece of javascript to handle that.. but for those without js, the alternative will be running soon - which i'm going to use as the norm' for now..

Shall reply with an updated site soon... by the way the contact page is now done with some solid validating and security.

Cheers again! Adam

Cheers for all the replys. Taken into account what you've all said..

And no the links don't quite work yet. I'm setting up an impressive piece of javascript to handle that.. but for those without js, the alternative will be running soon - which i'm going to use as the norm' for now..

Shall reply with an updated site soon... by the way the contact page is now done with some solid validating and security.

Cheers again! Adam

Just curious, but how much wider did you make it?  I like it much more now though.  It's nice and minimalistic, which is good for portfolio's.  Prospective employers probably don't want to be distracted by "extras".

Well to be honest.. After some thinking I'm not going to be altering the width all that much. I reckon an 800px ish wide design would be simply too much space. I think the way it is now fills it nicely and gives it a bit of a unique look.

My main aim at the moment is to make it dead centre. When doing the CSS I made it at a set width from the left, which isn't all that good..

Thanks for the replies though guys, I appreciate the feedback...

- oh and cheers for the spelling mistake. I've corrected it now and all the 'interest' words have been changed. The text isn't the final draft yet, mainly needed something to fill it up.

Adam

Wow, very nice! Very cool and clean. Also, I don't know if this is a problem with my browser/computer but the site lags very much and takes about 5 seconds after the page is loaded before I can click anything. But all in all looks very professional! Plus on the central issue, I think the slight left align is quite artistic.

Ah no it's not the actual centering that's the problem. The way it's done uses a body background image to create the sadow effects on the side. The reason I can't simply set it as the background for the container div is because of the strip spanning all the way across which makes the containing div the entire width of the page. I'm trying to find a way of doing it without having to have it specific to any left margin... but every way I think of doing it there's something that just doesn't work well. Anybody encountered this before??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.