Time Sheet Online - Critique's appreciated

smctainsh

Hi All,

After some thought, I've decided to take the Time Sheet project that I've been working on to the online arena. This new project includes many of the features found within the Time Sheet desktop application. The features the online version includes are:

- The ability to record time and allocate it to a job

- The ability to generate invoices

- The ability to email invoices directly to your client from within Time Sheet

I'd really appreciate any feedback that anyone may have on this online version of Time Sheet. Feel free to try it out by visiting this page and logging in using the user name and password 'demo'.

One known issue is that it doesn't work properly in IE6, and I still haven't decided on the best font to use for the interface yet (it defaults to Gill Sans MT and falls back to Arial when this font can't be found).

Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Couple of quick/random comments.

The timer does not reset after time is allocated to a job. It's possible to leave the timer running and then bill the increased time to a different job. I know we all multi-task, but ...

I'd move the 'cancel' icon in template editing up to the top of the scrollable area (sad to say, it took me too long to work out how to exit from template editing).

I really don't like having content forced into a scrollable area when it could just as easily have been displayed so I scroll the page to see what's below the fold.

Where's the "Help, I can't remember how to" icon?

Thank you so much AndyB for the comments. :) I completely agree with what you've suggested and will look into implementing them.

Once this service has been completed, polished, etc, I was considering a subscription of $20 per year for use of it. What do you guys think of this (in terms of features available, etc)?

Thanks,

Steven

Just a general comment as follow-up.  I'm not sure how the invoices actually look, but I suspect that if I sent a client an invoice claiming I'd worked 11 minutes and 13 seconds on his project he might think he was being 'nickel and dimed'. Accumulating time charged to a project on a daily basis and rounded to the nearest 15 minutes would be a 'friendlier' approach.

$20/year looks like a pretty minimal amount which would pay back if the system allowed a user to capture half an hour over a year that they otherwise forget.  I find myself doing a lot of odds and ends for one client - a few minutes here, a few minutes there and at the end of the month I 'invent a round number' based on how many emails he sent and fire off an invoice.  I probably under-bill him and your system would help .... as long as I remembered to turn off the timer when I skipped out to the washroom or checked a favourite web site when I was supposed to be working.

I would be a "habit" thing that you would get into though, if you used it enough. I am yet to check it out, but I'm thrilled you've taken it online. I liked the desktop app, it's good to see your taking it even further. I'll let you know my thoughts a bit later.

@AndyB: That sounds like a great idea; I completely understand - seeing something like 0.9482 hours on an invoice might make someone think they were being 'nickel and dimed'. Thanks also for the input regarding the price, too. :) I'm planning on looking into some ways to ensure the timer doesn't 'over run'.

@ProjectFear: I remember your feedback on the desktop version of Time Sheet and greatly appreciate it. :D Thanks for the kind words; I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Steven

I like it. A few things I'd like to suggest.

If a user with JavaScript disabled visits the page, perhaps make a big thing that is noticeable say something like "Please enable your JavaScript!"

When you click the Assign button after a certain amount of time, the little loading circle appears sort of on top of the Assign button.

When you export an invoice, it has email has optional, but if you don't enter one it just throws an error. Also, perhaps give invoices unique names upon download, instead of template.html

Other then that, it looks very nice. Perhaps increase it's size a bit as it is quite small.

I like it though, very nice indeed. Keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've updated Time Sheet Online, incorporated feedback from users of this forum and others. The demo user name and password, as well as the URL, are in the original post.

I'd love to know what you guys think of the changes, and whether you think $19.95 a year is a suitable price for this service.

Thanks,

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

I've now updated Time Sheet Online, taking into account many of the suggestions posted on this forum. I'd appreciate any feedback on the changes made, and would appreciate it if you could complete the survey (the link to the survey can be found when you log in). The user name and password are both demo.

You can view the demo at the link specified in the first post, or you can go here. I am in the process of setting up an SSL certificate on the website, too - this should take effect soon. :)

Thanks in advance,

Steven

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.