Access with MS SQL backend - won't update

Moron

I'll keep this long and painful story as short as possible. We have an Access 2000 database that is used for making identification cards. It pulls the data from an MS SQL database through an ODBC connection.

Well, it suddenly got VERY slow to pull any records. I can run an older backup copy of the Access database and anything that was already in there runs fine. BUT... if I refresh the connection to the SQL tables (in Linked Table Manager), it suddenly takes 10-15 minutes to pull a single record and then I can't edit it once it does.

All of the SQL tables run fine within Enterprise Manager. The Access database itself runs fine until I try to refresh the connections in Linked Table Manager.

Any ideas? I'm stumped and so are a few other people.

• 1 month later...

My suggestion is to use the profiler that comes with mssql to capture the query - and see what access is sending. You will probably find the issue then.

the problem with tools often like Access is they hide from you what they are sending - and often send very inefficient queries. the profiler that comes with mssql is really a wonderful too. and, if you have to, you can do the same via system stored procedures, but it is messier.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.