[SOLVED] SSH command to find OS

Maq

Neither of these solutions are guaranteed to work. The first, looking at /proc/version will simply display what kernel you are using along with some other details (ie, what compiler was used to build it). This may hint at your distribution but may not.

For instance, mine reads:

Linux version 2.6.26.5-vanilla+ovz+my (root@oblivion.thorpesystems.com) (gcc version 4.2.4) #1 SMP Wed Sept 10 02:42:00 EST 2008

No hint about my distro.

The second solution, looking at /etc/redhat-release. This file will only exist if your on a redhat derived distro.

Most distros however will place some sort of version file within /etc so that is probably a good place to start.

My solution gave me enough information for what I need but do you happen to know a command or where to look in the GUI SSH to find all the information?

I'm not sure I understand the question. SSH is a network protocol, and I'll assume your talking about your desktop environment (of which there are many) when you speak of a GUI.

Sorry, I meant when you browse the folders with the GUI of SSH.  Basically my question was if you don't know the command, is there a file I can look in to view the OS version, distro etc.?

Sorry, I meant when you browse the folders with the GUI of SSH.

As I said. SSH is a network protocol, so that comment makes no sense at all.

Basically my question was if you don't know the command, is there a file I can look in to view the OS version, distro etc.?

Different distros create different files in different locations (if at all) for such things so no, there is no definative answer.

You can find out what kernel your using by running uname.

uname -a

I'm sure I said all this in my first reply.

You did not mention the uname -a command in your first post.  The SSH client that I use (from ssh.com) has a GUI terminal where you can browse the directories and files.  My question was, is there a standard folder I can look in to find the OS information?  From your response I guess the answer is no.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.