question

hvle

i have function:

function func(&$var)
{
echo "the name of variable passed is: ";
// echo the name of variable passed to the function.
}

for example, when I have:

$myhome = "This is my home";

//call
func($myhome);

// would print out:
"the name of variable passed is: myhome"

Is this possible guys?
is to get the name of the variable passed to a function, maybe reference or copy, doesn't matter.

[!--quoteo(post=387358:date=Jun 24 2006, 04:21 AM:name=hvle)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(hvle @ Jun 24 2006, 04:21 AM) [snapback]387358[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i think so too,

but look at how Session handled this issue.

session_register($somevar);

and you can recall this $somevar in the session array:
$_SESSION['somevar']
[/quote]
No that is not how sessions handle it or anyother function in php. It doesnt create a session var [b]somevar[/b] if your variable is called $somevar. It creates the session variable based on the [b]value[/b] of $somevar. So if you had this:
[code]// assign $somevar the value of 'hello'
$somevar = "hello";
session_resgister($somevar);[/code]
It'll create a session variable based on the [b]value[/b] of [i]$somevar[/i] which will be [b]hello[/b] and so the variable created is this: [i]$_SESSION['hello'][/i]

It is not chopping of the dollor sign or anythink like that, it replaces the variable with its value. Thats how variables work.

I can't chop off the $ sign cuz I do not know what the variable name is. (the variable passed to a function).

in the case of session:

$somevar = 'hello';
session_register('somevar');

echo $_SESSION['somevar']; // will echo hello

in this case, session_register magicly know the name of variable $somevar and bind this $_SESSION['somevar'] to the value of $somevar.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]session_register magic know the name of variable $somevar[/quote]
No... you are wrong. Read your post again, even it doesn't explain things this way.

this is copy straight from manual.
I do not prefer session_register(), but I like to be able to do something similar to it.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
session_register() accepts a variable number of arguments, any of which can be either a string holding the name of a variable or an array consisting of variable names or other arrays.

// Use of session_register() is deprecated
$barney = "A big purple dinosaur.";
session_register("barney");
[/quote]

it's deprecated however.

The deal is how it take a string 'barney' literately, then actually search the script for a variable with that name.

Perhap all variables in main (script) stored in some sort of array. If so, I want to find this magical array.

All variables are stored in the superglobal array $_GLOBALS

If you do a [code]<?php echo '<pre>' . print_r($_GLOBALS,true) . '</pre>'; ?>[/code] after defining a number of variables, you can see how they are stored.

Ken

[!--quoteo(post=387661:date=Jun 25 2006, 02:26 PM:name=kenrbnsn)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kenrbnsn @ Jun 25 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]387661[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
All variables are stored in the superglobal array $_GLOBALS

If you do a [code]<?php echo '<pre>' . print_r($_GLOBALS,true) . '</pre>'; ?>[/code] after defining a number of variables, you can see how they are stored.

Ken
[/quote]

You're right Ken, anyway, it's $GLOBALS.
They should name it $_GLOBALS to be consistent with other global vars thought.
Thank you.

Yes of course.

I'm writing a class to parse template. This class called SimpleTemplate.
The class works great, and i'm trying to improve it.

you have a template file in html like this:

<html>
<body>
Hello {{name}}!
</body>
</html>

you have an array like this:
$bundle['name'] = "Jessica";

The SimpleTemplate use this template and array, i.e $bundle and parse the value Jessica with the {{name}}.

So, instead of define an array like this:
$name = "Jessica";
$bundle['name'] = $name;

I will improve it like this:

$st = new SimpleTemplate();
$st->register('name');

this register function will automaticly create an item 'name' in the member variable and assign the value of $name.

Well, that's the idea.
Otherwise, the class work great. I know there're ton of class out there with similar purpose, but I prefer my own class, cuz I know exactly how well it perform. Efficiency is always important to me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.