querys

supanoob

$query2="select blah, blah, blah from news where player_id='$playerid'";
$result2=mysql_query($query2);
if (!$result2)
{
die (mysql_error());
}

well i have that, and i want it to look where player_id=$playerid and where what_news='Battle'

but i cant remember how to do it, i know you cant use && in querys

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']select[/span] blah, blah, blah [color=green]from[/color] [color=orange]news[/color] [color=green]where[/color] player_id[color=orange]=[/color][color=red]'$playerid'[/color] [color=blue]and[/color] what_news[color=orange]=[/color][color=red]'Battle'[/color]
[!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

ok, so i did that any ideawhy this for loop:

[code]
<?php
// for loop starts here
$num_rows=mysql_num_rows($result2);
for ($i=0;$i<$num_rows;$i++)
{
$row=mysql_fetch_array($result2);
$fight_id=($row['fight_id']);
$fight_name=($row['fight_name']);

echo "$fight_name($fight_id) Defeated You HAHA<br>
      ";
  } ?>[/code]

looks like this:

[img src=\"http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9756/meh0ws.jpg\" border=\"0\" alt=\"IPB Image\" /]

yeah its messed up, i have at least 2 things in my db that are meant to be echoes yet only one is and the other is like there but not if you know what i mean, and then at the bottom it echos another row of anything that doesnt have <> round it or $ infront of it.

first off, it would be cleaner if you did your code like this:
[code]
<?php
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result2)) {
   $fight_id = $row['fight_id'];
   $fight_name = $row['fight_name'];

echo "$fight_name($fight_id) Defeated You HAHA<br>";
}
?>
[/code]
2nd, since the fight_id seems to show up on one iteration, but not the 2nd, all i can really think of is that your database does not have a value stored in fight_id on that row. and as far as $fight_name not echoing, all i can really think of is that when you assign $row['fight_name'] to it, fight_name either does not have info in the row, or else you typoed fight_name.

or, perhaps your query is fragged. maybe you did not select the proper columns? like when i showed you select blah,blah,blah, was fight_name in that list? show your actual query string, please.

and on that note, a great debugging method is to echo your query string out on your screen, and copy/paste it in phpmyadmin and see if it gives you the desired results.

thank you so much, it no longer echos an extra row :D although it still only shows 1 of the 2 rows with that query... this is the code

query:
[code]$query2="select player_id, news_msg, news_date, what_news, fight_name, fight_id, win_lose from news where player_id='$playerid' and win_lose='Lost'";
$result2=mysql_query($query2);
if (!$result2)
{
die (mysql_error());
}
$row=mysql_fetch_array($result2);
$fight_id=($row['fight_id']);
$fight_name=($row['fight_name']);[/code]

loop:
[code]<?php
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result2)) {
   $fight_id = $row['fight_id'];
   $fight_name = $row['fight_name'];

echo "$fight_name($fight_id) Defeated You HAHA<br>";
}
?>[/code]

now in my db i have 2 rows that match the query, i know because i put them there myself :D i dont know why it only echos 1 though :S

are both those codes combined? cuz in your first code block you do a fetch_array and then you turn around and do the while loop. each time you fetch_array it moves to the next row, so when you start the while loop, it has already cycled through 1 row, but you haven't echoed that first row, get it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.