[SOLVED] IDE recommendations

Bendude14

Can you guys tell me what IDE 's you use. Is it possible to get one that can evaluate php inside the program if you have a server etc installed on the machine?

Also i am looking for one with Syntax highlighting.

both suggestions for windows and linux are grateful.

Thanks

Ben

I like using DreamWeaver,  it turns different syntax's into different colors. It does not debug it for you, but it lets you know how some functions should work. Like if you use the MD5 function, it will say in a box, string. Meaning type in the string and nothing else.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sites,' but with both PDT and Zend w/ Eclipse I can have multiple projects open at a single time. Most IDEs are like this.

I may be misunderstanding you though.

basicaly i was managing around 30 sites at once and i needed a free IDE for home use but all the ones i tried would not let me save (local server, remote server) as a saved site and then reload it anytime from a list.

I have about 8 major projects opened in PDT at the moment. In a list. All are accessible via my local web server.

If anything, Dreamweaver is bad because it does a LOT more than any PHP IDE should. It's resource intensive and is more of a 'develop for you' than a 'development environment'

basicaly i was managing around 30 sites at once and i needed a free IDE for home use but all the ones i tried would not let me save (local server, remote server) as a saved site and then reload it anytime from a list.

The difference between Dreamweaver and other IDEs, in my opinion, is that Dreamweaver is geared towards the common user while other IDEs expect that you will set up your own local/remote information - whether that be SFTP or CSV/SVN. As mentioned previously, nearly every IDE offers the support to do what you are mentioning, but you have to set it up manually to your own specifications.

I would add NetBeans as another free IDE to look at as well.

I'll second netbeans if you plan to do things other than php development and want to use the same IDE for all of the languages. I use different IDEs for different languages, I'm weird. netbeans is my java IDE and I love it.

can i ask you what u use java for , i would suspect file system browsing ? i may have some cool ideas lol is java best or is somthign else better flash maybe ? well java has its own file browsing interface dosent it am i right ?

I use java for jobs where I'm reqired to use java :). I typically will use c++ for applications, but java can be more versatile in some instances (see: portability, apache tomcat/servlets, web applets) so if I must use it, I will, but it's not my favorite language. As for file system classes? yeah, java has them... but so does c++.

You compared flash to java though, you do know java is a full-featured programming language, not just a way of making web applets, yes?

You compared flash to java though, you do know java is a full-featured programming language, not just a way of making web applets, yes?

Also, please don't confuse Java with JavaScript. Java, as was just mentioned, is a fully featured programming language while JavaScript in web is simply a client side scripting language to add some dynamic elements to the page. JavaScript would be much more comparable to flash than Java.

I use java for jobs where I'm reqired to use java :). I typically will use c++ for applications, but java can be more versatile in some instances (see: portability, apache tomcat/servlets, web applets) so if I must use it, I will, but it's not my favorite language. As for file system classes? yeah, java has them... but so does c++.

i used java for 3 years at uni i do know, i compared it to flash because u never know the flash people may have developed a file browser of some sort or one can be easily implamented but i doubt it, yes i know flash and java have no comparison even thogh both can be used for web apps java is a system language in its natural state and has been used for tomcat.

Also, please don't confuse Java with JavaScript. Java, as was just mentioned, is a fully featured programming language while JavaScript in web is simply a client side scripting language to add some dynamic elements to the page. JavaScript would be much more comparable to flash than Java.

You mock me...

Sorry to veer off-topic but I'm on my second college year of BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners (bit of a mouthfull, I know lol) and have been looking into university courses in programming but can't seem to find any decent ones. Can you tell me what course you do or if anyone knows any good ones they can tell me about I would appreciate it, thanks. :)

My personal choice is Zend studio for Eclipse, and yes, it does take a lot of setting up and what not, but I feel it's worth it.

On top of that, with a bunch of plugins installed, I can use Ruby/onRails, Python, (X)HTML/CSS/JS, etc. all under one roof. I like that most about eclipse.

Sorry to veer off-topic but I'm on my second college year of BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners (bit of a mouthfull, I know lol) and have been looking into university courses in programming but can't seem to find any decent ones. Can you tell me what course you do or if anyone knows any good ones they can tell me about I would appreciate it, thanks. :)

I don't know any courses to suggest to you (as all of mine are/were taken at my college), but I can recommend ways to self-teach (see: o'reilly books, particularly the "head first" series is a good one). Of course all of that is totally off subject, but some other people may have some other good suggestions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.