n00b question..just dling apache.

BahamutG

I\'m trying to install apache so I can practice php without being online. I downloaded the zip for apache....and opened it. It contains folders like \"Build, debug, docs, etc.\". Now, I have no idea what to do. I\'ve read some stuff, but i guess i just don\'t understand. If you could help me out, I would be very much grateful.

If you\'re using Windows get the installer from the Apache site as it is much easier to install than some other versions.

apache_2.0.48-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi Look for this file for windows.

I use the download edition of Mandrake Linux 9.2, this come with Apache fully configured with PHP, MySQL, Perl ect, and you can simply install and go. www.linuxemporium.co.uk had some very good offers.

Yea...im using windows 95..quite sadly. I have two computers, that I bought, used, which is pretty good seeing how im 17...and didn\'t have a job prior to buying them. They both suck, but hey. Now that i have a job...maybe i can get a good one. in 20 years...::sighs::

Take the plunge and install Linux on one of them. You can get a leading distribution of Linux for just a few £\'s on site such as www.ebay.com. My version of Linux (Mandrake 9.2) comes with a great installer which will get you up and running with Apache, PHP, MySQL (the list goes on!) very quickly. After all why run a webserver on software that costs far too much when superior software (in most respects) is available at minimal cost. As for computers check the rubbish bins (dumpsters in your dialect I believe!) outside large office buildings. I\'ve pulled many bits out, I\'ve managed to get combined into 2 PC\'s and an old laptop!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.