HostFish

smithmr8

Looks pretty sharp.  I like the colors but you may want to add some other subtle color to offset the orange a little.  Maybe or maybe not, would have to see. I like the basic structure of the home page.  Would like to see some of the other pages to see how well it all comes together.  Overall I say good job at least from a cosmetic standpoint.  Easy on the eye and easy to follow.  I like how nothing feels cramped like a lot of hosting sites.

edit.  Upon further inspection I see you are using images all of your text.  For obvious reasons this must be fixed but I assume you just want some critique on the look right now so I'll leave it at that.

edit edit.  I also see some pretty poor markup with tables, did you let photoshop generate your html?  Again I'll give the benefit of doubt that this will be fixed and modernized to current standards.

Very nice looking. I like it :)

- I do agree with the comments of not using images the way you have done it. Draw backs include files being larger than needed, and fonts cannot be scaled up for those users who prefer larger fonts.

- Your site does not validate. A surprising amount of errors floating around.

- I noticed your php files are not gzipped. Assuming your server supports gzip, I would consider adding this to the top of your php pages:

if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start();

This way, if the browser in question does support any form of gzipping, and your server supports this, php files will be zipped prior to sending off to the browser (which the browser in turn unzips automatically). You could save some kilobytes per page per download. If you get high traffic, the more bandwidth you save, the better.

Overall, very nice. Good stuff! :)

Cheers,

NRG

Woop! :P. Lucky me. Why can't they make some modern ones :P.

Haha, I know!  They're so dull... :-\

lol.. that's why I didn't even bother using those on my site.. instead, I opted to use simple text links instead.

Sure, I could have 'redsigned' those icons, making them much more fancy and 'modernized' for my own usage.. but I didn't bother.

About the only logo I like that I found on the W3C site is the Open Source one. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I suppose. ;)

I know it's trivial but I think you should center the footer as well.  Also on the contacts page, where you have the text fields you should have the names of them hard-coded on the side, or at least when you click in the field have them highlighted or disappear.

I knew it was a template because the website was made mostly of images that he just spliced apart and put back together but there's nothing wrong with that...

No, nothing wrong with that.. But I think there is something wrong when someone buys a template, then claims to have begun working on a website and would like feedback on the design. It's not even their design.

I always figured this particular forum was for people who are building their own sites, not buying a template and making out to look like their own. If the OP had at the very least mentioned that it was a purchased template from the get-go, it wouldn't reflect so poorly.

I knew it was a template because the website was made mostly of images that he just spliced apart and put back together but there's nothing wrong with that...

No, nothing wrong with that.. But I think there is something wrong when someone buys a template, then claims to have begun working on a website and would like feedback on the design. It's not even their design.

I always figured this particular forum was for people who are building their own sites, not buying a template and making out to look like their own. If the OP had at the very least mentioned that it was a purchased template from the get-go, it wouldn't reflect so poorly.

I agree 100% with what you're saying.  If he altered the template or put some custom work into it then I could see him asking for a critique but since it looks like there's no altercations than I don't see the point of putting a template in this section, especially when it costs $.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.