MyBB instead of SMF?

Imad

You can maybe try switching over on your local computer. Just grab a copy of the db and try to see if it will be successful or not. I believe the development team can do it for you as-well.

I guess it something for you guys to look at for the future.  I can talk to them about huge forum migrations and see what they suggest.

Best Regards.

Why not just use vBulletin? At one point MyBB was just a copycat and even stole code from the vBulletin source. Jelsoft had lawyers shut them down for a short period of time because of this.

For free, MyBB isn't bad software but neither is SMF. If you we're going to switch to another software and take the time to do a forum migration correctly, I would just go with vBulletin.

Wow... It turns out I actually have an account on their forums despite me having absolutely no memory of it. Apparently i registered over four years ago.

Why not just use vBulletin? At one point MyBB was just a copycat and even stole code from the vBulletin source. Jelsoft had lawyers shut them down for a short period of time because of this.

For free, MyBB isn't bad software but neither is SMF. If you we're going to switch to another software and take the time to do a forum migration correctly, I would just go with vBulletin.

I've already proposed a change to vBulletin to the other staff, but they turned it down.

Wow... It turns out I actually have an account on their forums despite me having absolutely no memory of it. Apparently i registered over four years ago.

I've already proposed a change to vBulletin to the other staff, but they turned it down.

Did they give a decent reason on why? Are they just stuck on SMF?

I'd like to oppose against this somewhat. They where cought using VBulletin code years back. However, they were never shutdown; they simply removed the code VBulletin requested.

Best Regards.

I'd like to oppose against this somewhat. They where cought using VBulletin code years back. However, they were never shutdown; they simply removed the code VBulletin requested.

Best Regards.

The removed the download for a period of time until they could remove the code. That's what I meant, they took down the download.

Regardless, MyBB doesn't have an SMF 2.0 converter so even if we wanted to switch we couldn't.

I believe they'll be working on it. However, if you actually confront them about it with such a big board. They'll most likely put you into priority.

So are you a mod of their forums or somehow a part of their staff or otherwise affiliated with them?

That was going to be my next question... you're pushing awfully damn hard.

I'm not trying to actually. :P I just think that the easier to use forum software and some nice features will gain more members and traffic. I'm just thinking about the community. :D

I've just really began to play with the source of SMF.  It really is confusing as hell, I've figured a few things out here and there but making mods is what sucks.  Once you get your mod ready you're at the mercy of whether or not the installation passes or not according to their little xml file thing.

If we did change forum software.....again, we'd have to remake the topic solved feature......again, and listen to all the whining and groaning....again.  Well once it got passed the "Wow, this forum software is really pretty!" part.

And like has been mentioned already, the Db is too large, the only way I can think of to actually make a change to something else is to....*grits teeth* make a Backup Database into (x) Format Mod

x being...a pretty basic format, with just the text and such, a few id columns, the users

Would be a big sacrifice

I'm pretty good with SMF still, honestly

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.