New layout.

DarkWater

crossbrowsertesting is free for 5 mins at a time and its up right now.  Was just telling you of another site because you said that one was down. You can also use as many 5 minute sessions as you like.

Meh. Also, for some reason, the image is actually breaking the main content area in IE, but I couldn't care less why (read the little disclaimer that I just added in the footer).  I'm going to start developing the actual CMS tomorrow, and I'm probably going to revise this template...copiously (but who doesn't always revise their personal site?). xD

LOL DarkWater... (I like your footer: "If something doesn't look right in IE, I don't care, so don't bother me about it. Use FF.").

While I am not exactly a big fan of IE either, I think it would be a mistake to neglect it (in that same breath, I tested in IE 8, and it looks good to me... but I would consider 'rephrasing' or even eliminating that footer message for the sake of profession ism though ;) If this is not an issue, then perhaps using an image could be good for laughs) [disclaimer: not my graphic. I don't know who owns it].

I like how clean and light it is.. but I find *some* of your components rather tightly grouped. I would add some CSS padding / margins to some stuff. By example, look at the 'Latest' section.. Not much room between the line with the pencil / date / author info and the body of text.. Conversely, not much room between the body of text and bottom of 'Latest' panel.. I would consider just spacing this somewhat. Perhaps adding some space between your <hx> and <p> tags...

Your design is nice and clean.. be nice to your content and give it a little more room to breath :)

The alignment of the 'Get some RSS' and the RSS logo is off.. I would line that up nice and neat. I personally am a fan of centered footers (but that's just me).

It's a good start.

Cheers,

NRG

Very nice. I suggest link FF to the Get Firefox website, at least. :P

I'm with the person who said the white is hard to read.

i lie it but http://phpspeaks.com/rss.php

doesnt work

I don't think any of the links work. I think he is just showing off the design atm. :)

It's bland. You've used color once, from what I can see (apart from RSS). If you're going for a sort of soft theme with limited color then you've nailed it. But I like color. :D

Overall though, it's a nice, simplistic design that is easy to look at. Good work.

I spaced it all out a lot just now, and I think it's a hell of a lot more...readable.  Thanks for the suggestion, nrg_alpha.

Oh, and Mozilla Firefox links to the FF website, but I might add another link, lol.

@dropfaith: None of the links work...

And it's supposed to be very limited in color so when I add colored things (photographs, graphics, etc) in posts, they look really nice and stand out.  I wasn't going for an overly complicated theme, just a nice simplistic one.

You guys were right about having the white h2 tag.  I changed it to the same color as the others.  Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Also changed the categories sidebar.  I changed it so that the link is the full content of the li and is clickable anywhere in there.

Any other suggestions?

Actually, yes.

- How about a different font colour when hovering over the top menu text? Perhaps the same blue colour as in your phpspeaks diagonal banner?

- This is subjective admittedly, but when I visit a tab based site, I prefer to see the current tab highlighted when a page within that section is currently visited (or at the very least, have the text within the selected tab stand out). It just gives the user a better idea of 'where they are within the site'. Say they are reading along, then forget which section they are in.. having some visual clue within the top menu tab can make a nice difference. Changes like this is easy with CSS. My site is an example of this.

Again, this is just my opinion.. some people may not care.

Any other suggestions?

Actually, yes.

- How about a different font colour when hovering over the top menu text? Perhaps the same blue colour as in your phpspeaks diagonal banner?

- This is subjective admittedly, but when I visit a tab based site, I prefer to see the current tab highlighted when a page within that section is currently visited (or at the very least, have the text within the selected tab stand out). It just gives the user a better idea of 'where they are within the site'. Say they are reading along, then forget which section they are in.. having some visual clue within the top menu tab can make a nice difference. Changes like this is easy with CSS. My site is an example of this.

Again, this is just my opinion.. some people may not care.

1) Good idea, I'll play around with it.

2) I was thinking about the same thing.  I was planning on maybe making it taller or giving it a different color or something.

Looks a lot better.  You should change the headings to a different color for, "Categories" and "Latest".  It's still hard to see.  Other than that looks good, I'm sure it will look a lot better with the pictures though.

The layout is smooth, but the colorings are bland.

Possibly a lighter gray in the background, unless you're trying to model it off this site's theme.  Or don't use gray at all, either an offwhite color of some sort, or white.

To be honest, it looks like what it is.  A layout created by a programmer, not an artist.  It's just how it is.  It all looks a bit subdued.  It is rectangular and orderly, and doesn't see like something I'd want to read more than one post's worth before moving on.

//my 2 cents

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.